Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title The "Mabry Mill" sign
Date March 1947
Description Image of an interpretive sign titled "Mabry Mill" near milepost 176.1, section 1T of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sign reads "Built and operated from 1910 to/1935 by E.B. Mabry. This gristmill,/sawmill and the nearby blacksmith/shop illustrate the fact that, well/into the 20th century, mountain/communities often depended upon/one man's ingenuity to create/machinery needed to produce many/of the necessities of life./United States Department of Interiors/National Park Service." A split rail fence and unidentified log structure can be seen behind the sign. Image taken from the National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters. Photographed by A.S. Burns in March on 1947.
Location Location Name: Mabry Mill (Va.)
Parkway Milepost: 176.1
Latitude: 36.75
Longitude: -80.404722
Creator Individual A.S. Burns
Tags Fences
Floyd County (Va.)
Mabry Mill (Va.)
Photographs
Signs and signboards
Structures
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway