Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Mission 66 sign
Date August 22, 1958
Description Photograph shows two men and an automobile next to a sign indicating "This is a Mission 66 project, U. S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service" with construction equipment in the background in section 2X of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Taken by Bill Gully of the North Carolina Conservation Department and National Park Service Superintendent Sam P. Weems on August 22, 1958.
Commentary The Mission 66 program was a ten-year plan of vastly increased funding and development aimed at resurrecting and dramatically expanding the nation’s deteriorating park infrastructure in time for the National Park Service's fiftieth anniversary in 1966. Costing close to $1 billion by its conclusion, Mission 66 set about to upgrade parks’ physical facilities to provide “enjoyment without impairment” for the huge influx of visitors: new roads, trails, parking areas, campgrounds, and water, sewer, and power systems; rehabilitated historic structures; and new park buildings including many visitor centers.
Location Location Name: Section 2X
Parkway Milepost: None
Latitude: 35.460694
Longitude: -83.121806
Creator Individuals Bill Gully
Sam P. Weems
Creator Organization N.C. Conserv. Dept.
Tags Automobiles
Construction
Construction equipment
Mission 66
People
Photographs
Signs and signboards
Workers
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway