Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Access road on left of Parkway
Date 1930s
Description Men standing on hill looking down at access road at milepost 248, end of section 2C of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Commentary Possibly future site of overpass. Construction on the Blue Ridge Parkway began in 1935 as a part of the Civilian Conservation Corp, which was started by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The Civilian Conservation Corp was part of the New Deal and was implemented to give young men jobs, as well as to conserve and promote nature and land.
Location Location Name: Milepost 248
Parkway Milepost: 248.0
Latitude: 36.391166
Longitude: -81.244288
Creator Individual Unknown
Tags Ashe County (N.C.)
Photographs
Road conditions
Road construction
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway