Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title Entrance to Bluff Park looking northeast
Title Note negative 7366
Date 1940
Description Road and sign leading to entrance to Bluff Park (looking towards northeast), off of Blue Ridge Parkway. Image taken from the National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters and taken by "JEV" in 1940.
Commentary Bluff Park is now Doughton Park (formerly known as the Bluffs) was named after Congressman Robert L. Doughton because of his long time support for the Blue Ridge Parkway. Doughton Park includes meadows, pioneer cabins, and a diverse amount of wildlife. Sign in background reads "Entering Bluff Park."
Location Location Name: Bluffs
Parkway Milepost: 239.0
Latitude: 36.40596
Longitude: -81.17425
Creator Individual J.E.V.
Tags Access roads
Alleghany County (N.C.)
Bluff Park (N.C.)
Doughton Park (N.C.)
Doughton, Robert Lee
Photographs
Roads
Signs and signboards
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway