Documenting the American South

Home
The Digital Blue Ridge Parkway
 

About this Image

Title View of Parkway near Doughton Park
Title Note Near Doughton Park
Date 1950
Description View of Blue Ridge Parkway near Doughton Park at milepost 239, section 2C of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Image taken from the National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway Headquarters and taken by Arthur Fawcett in 1950.
Commentary Doughton Park is also known as Bluff Park of The Bluffs. The original name of The Bluffs comes from the 1000' cliff contained within the park. Most of the park is forested, but it is also known for its wide open, grassy meadows. Doughton Park was the largest area acquired under the Resettlement Administration, at 5410.3 acres, and remains the largest recreation area on the North Carolina section of the Parkway. The original name of Bluffs Park was renamed in the early 1950s to Doughton Park in honor of retired Congressman and long-time Parkway supporter Robert L. Doughton, a native of the region whose family once owned much of the acquired land.
Location Location Name: Doughton Park
Parkway Milepost: 241.0
Latitude: 36.40596
Longitude: -81.17425
Creator Individual Arthur Fawcett
Tags Alleghany County (N.C.)
Blue Ridge Parkway--Planning
Bluff Park (N.C.)
Bluffs
Doughton Park (N.C.)
Fences
Landscape
Meadows
Photographs
Roads
View of road
Credit Courtesy National Park Service, Blue Ridge Parkway