Source: James Stuart Monument
James Stuart Monument, Guilford Courthouse
This is the only monument at Guilford Battlefield that honors a British soldier. It honors James Stuart (or Stewart), who died here along the third line. It is a three-section marble shaft placed on a granite base and stands nearly six feet tall. It is dated 1895 but may not have been placed until 1896. The first news report found was an announcement for the 1896 battleground celebration. The article simply stated that a marble tombstone was in place for the “generous but misguided foe.”
East face: OF THE SECOND BAT- /
ALION OF THE QUEENS /
GUARDS, WAS KILLED /
AT THIS SPOT BY /
CAPTAIN JOHN SMITH /
OF THE FIRST MARY- /
South face: COL. STUART'S SWORD / WAS UNBURIED HERE / IN 1866.
North face: ERECTED BY THE / G.B.G CO. IN HONOR / OF A BRAVE FOE. / 1895
Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
36.134300 , -79.841070 View in Geobrowse
"Death of Stewart Guilford Courthouse National Military Park," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed May 11, 2018) Link
"Inventory Form - Guilford Courthouse National Military Park," National Register of Historic Places, (accessed February 6, 2012) Link
Baker, Thomas E. and Michael H. White. The Monuments at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, North Carolina, (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Courthouse NMP, 1991)
Grimes, J. Bryan. "Why North Carolina Should Erect and Preserve Memorials and Mark Historic Places: Address Before the North Carolina Literary and Historical Association, Raleigh, N.C., November 4, 1909," ([Raleigh, NC: The News and Observer, 1909]), (accessed May 18, 2012) Link
“Battle Ground Celebration,” The Greensboro Patriot (Greensboro, NC), June 17, 1896
“Hon. Lieut. Colonel Stuart,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed April 9, 2018) Link
White marble shaft with granite base.
Guilford Battleground Company
James Stuart was a colonel and commander of the Second Guards Battalion during the battle. He was engaged in a duel by Captain John Smith of the First Maryland but was supposedly killed by a bullet shot from a musket in the First Maryland. In 1866 a sword belonging to James Stuart was plowed up in the battlefield at the spot where this monument was erected. However, the location of the sword is unknown today.
There is variation in the spelling of his last name and has been printed as both Stewart and Stuart.
The monument stands on the grass off of Historic New Garden Road.