Confederate Monument, Lexington
The monument has a square granite base that supports a marble column. A Confederate soldier stands in contrapposto in full uniform on top of the column. He wears a hat and holds his rifle firmly in both hands. A confederate flag, seemingly blowing in the wind, is carved into the column of the base below the letters "C.S.A." Inscriptions regarding those soldiers lost in the war are located on the square base of the monument.
Images: Contemporary view | Rear view | Front plaque | Rear plaque
Front: ERECTED BY / THE ROBERT E. LEE CHAPTER / OF THE / DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / NO. 324 / SEPT. 14, 1905. / OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD
Rear: SLEEP SWEETLY IN YOUR HUMBLE GRAVES / SLEEP MARTYRS OF A FALLEN CAUSE. / FOR LO A MARBLE COLUMN GRAVES. / THE PILGRIM HERE TO PAUSE. / 1861-65.
September 14, 1905
35.823760 , -80.253300 View in Geobrowse
"Historic Uptown Lexington, North Carolina. A Heritage Tour," Uptown Lexington, Inc., (accessed December 3, 2013) Link
"Lexington: Courthouse" in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
"Main and Center Streets, Lexington, N.C." Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (accessed January 7, 2014) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Fifth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division, Held in Charlotte, N.C., October 9, 10, 11, 1901, (Raleigh, NC: Capital Printing Company, 1902), 113, (accessed May 23, 2012) Link
Waymarking.com. "Confederate Monument, Lexington, NC," (accessed January 28, 2011) Link
Marble column, granite base
Robert E. Lee Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy No. 324
Located directly across the street from the Old Davidson County Courthouse, 2 S. Main Street, Lexington, NC.
The monument used to be located in the center of a traffic circle, but it was moved after being hit by cars. It is now in Lexington Square in front of the Old Davidson County Courthouse.