Edward Stevens Monument, Guilford Courthouse
This granite base and podium-shaped block commemorates Edward Stevens of the Virginia Troops, who was wounded in the battle here. There is a bronze plaque laying on a slant at the top of the monument with an inscription. The monument measures 2'6" in height and 2'4" in width.
Images (courtesy of Natasha Smith): Bronze plaque
ON THIS SPOT / BRIG. GEN. EDWARD STEVENS / WAS WOUNDED WHILE MAKING A / GALLANT STAND WITH HIS / VIRGINIA TROOPS / ERECTED BY / THE CULPEPER MINUTE MEN CHAPTER / D.A.R. OF CULPEPER, VIRGINIA / 1934
Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
October 15, 1931
36.132980 , -79.845460 View in Geobrowse
"Inventory Form - Guilford Courthouse National Military Park," National Register of Historic Places, (accessed February 6, 2012) Link
Baker, Thomas E. and Michael H. White. The Monuments at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, North Carolina, (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Courthouse NMP, 1991)
“Brig. Gen. Edward Stevens,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed April 11, 2018) Link
“Martinsville People to Attend Unveiling Ceremony,” The Bee (Danville, VA.), October 14, 1931
Granite and bronze
Culpeper Minute Men Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
Mrs. Byrd Leavell, Culpeper, Virginia, regent of the Minute Men Chapter, DAR, was in charge of the unveiling program. Julius C. Smith, an attorney from Martinsville, Virginia was the chief speaker.
General Edward Stevens was the commander of the Virginia militia on the battlefields second line. Born in 1745 in Culpepper County, Virginia, he served in many Revolutionary War battles including Brandywine, Germantown, Camden, Guilford (where he was wounded), and Yorktown. He later served eight years in the Virginia Legislature.
This monument is located on New Garden Road, right after the intersection of Old Battleground Road, near one of the parking lots in the park.
The memorial is surrounded by mature trees of the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.