Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    American Third Line (Regulars) Monument, Guilford Courthouse

  • Type

    Column

  • Subjects

    Revolutionary War, 1775-1783

  • City

    Greensboro

  • County

    Guilford

  • Description

    The monument is in the shape of a large tapered column; it is made of lightly colored granite and stands 15' high with a diameter of 1'8".

  • Inscription

    East: 1910

    West: REGULARS / GREENE'S 3RD LINE

  • Custodian

    Guilford Courthouse National Military Park

  • Dedication Date

    July 4, 1910

  • Decade

    1910s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    36.134950 , -79.841430 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      "Guilford: The Only Revolutionary Battlefield Now a National Park," Greensboro Patriot Weekly (Greensboro, NC), July 7, 1909, 1-3 Link

      "Inventory Form - Guilford Courthouse National Military Park," National Register of Historic Places, (accessed February 6, 2012) Link

      “A Visit to Historic Old Battle Ground of Guilford Courthouse,” The Charlotte News (Charlotte, NC), April 10, 1909

      “Battle Ground Celebration,” The Greensboro Patriot (Greensboro, NC), July 10, 1910

      “Battle Ground Celebration,” The Greensboro Patriot (Greensboro, NC), July 10, 1910

      “New Monuments at the Battle Ground,” The Greensboro Patriot (Greensboro, NC), June 10, 1908

      “President Morehead’s Report,” The Greensboro Patriot (Greensboro, NC), April 10, 1907

      “Regulars’ Monument,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed May 9, 2018) Link

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Granite

  • Sponsors

    Guilford Battle Ground Company

  • Nickname

    Regulars' Monument

  • Subject Notes

    The monument is supposed to commemorate the American Third Line; however, it is incorrectly placed. At this part of the battlefield the American Continentals were deployed. It was here that they had hoped to stop the British attacks.

    This monument is dated 1910 and it has been accepted that it was dedicated on July 4, 1910, the same day as a bronze tablet to Peter Francisco that had been added to the Calvary Monument. The problem with the July 4 date is that news coverage of the 1910 battleground celebration only makes mention of the Francisco tablet. It is likely this monument is one of the two “granite shafts” noted in Joseph Morehead’s April 1907 report on the Battle Ground Association. Both were “on hand” and hoped to be in place for a July 4, 1907 dedication. It appears only one of the two was erected in 1907, the Calvary Monument, that was dedicated on July 4, 1907. A 1909 article about battleground monuments only notes one shaft on or near the 3rd line. That shaft had no inscription but must have been the Calvary Monument. The difference in appearance between the Calvary Monument and Third Line Monument can be explained by a 1908 news article. The article reported the “unsatisfactory shaft to the cavalry arm” dedicated the prior year. Additional dressed stones had been acquired and were to be added to improve its appearance which had been done by late 1909. It is most likely the 3rd Line Monument was the second of the two 1907 shafts. It was something that was on hand and at some point, in 1910 it was dated and erected in its “unsatisfactory” state and without fanfare.

  • Location

    The memorial is located within Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, at auto tour stop 7. The memorial stands at the top of a ridge overlooking James Stuart Monument.

  • Landscape

    The memorial is surrounded by mature trees of the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.