Source: Thomas Ruffin Monument, Raleigh
Thomas Ruffin Monument, Raleigh
Francis H. Packer, Designer
Francis H. Packer, Sculptor
The monument to Thomas Ruffin rests in an alcove at the entrance to the State Court of Appeals building in Raleigh. The full-body statue is cast in bronze and sits atop a polished white marble base. Ruffin is portrayed in a formal style with sealed legal papers in his left hand, conveying his status and his office; his right hand is tucked in his waistcoat. The statue's designer, Francis H. Packer of New York, studied with the renowned sculptor and teacher Augustus Saint-Gaudens.
State of North Carolina
February 1, 1915
35.779500 , -78.639550 View in Geobrowse
"Thomas Ruffin," in the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives Portrait Collection P2, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Folder 1008 in Bennehan Cameron Papers #3623, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Folder 1009 in the Bennehan Cameron Papers #3623, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Folder 1010 in the Bennehan Cameron Papers #3623, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Greene, Sally. "Judge Thomas Ruffin, Presiding Over a Vanished Era," from “Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina”, http://docsouth.unc.edu/commland/ (accessed May 16, 2012) Link
North Carolina Bar Association. "Addresses at the Unveiling and Presentation to the State of the Statue of Thomas Ruffin by the North Carolina Bar Association Delivered in the Hall of the House of Representatives, 1 February, 1915," (Raleigh, NC: Edwards & Broughton Printing Company, 1915), (accessed May 30, 2012) Link
Bronze and marble.
The North Carolina State Bar Association and the Ruffin Family.
The monument was dedicated on February 1, 1915 in the Hall of the House of Representatives in Raleigh. An address was delivered by Chief Justice Hon. Walter Clark of the State Supreme court, and the statue was presented by the Hon. J. Crawford Biggs, President of the North Carolina Bar Association. The monument was unveiled by Thomas Ruffin and Peter Browne Ruffin, Justice Ruffin's great-grandchildren. It was originally placed in the State Administration Building where the Supreme Court held its sessions.
Thomas Ruffin sat on the North Carolina State Supreme Court from 1829 to 1852 and again in 1858, serving as the Chief Justice from 1833 to 1852.