Confederate Monument, Louisburg
This monument is an obelisk with a statue of a soldier on top of it. Inscriptions adorn all four faces of the base of the monument. Above these inscriptions, a confederate flag is carved into the stone of the tall column upon which the uniformed soldier, firmly gripping his gun in both hands, stands.
Front: DEO VINDICE. /
WHEN CAN THEIR GLORY FADE? O THE WILD CHARGE THEY MADE ALL THE WORLD WONDERED. /
TO OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD
Other inscriptions on the faces of the base: IN MEMORY OF FRANKLIN'S CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS THAT THEIR HEROIC DEEDS, SUBLIME SACRIFICE AND UNDYING DEVOTION TO DUTY AND COUNTRY MAY NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES AND FORTUNES FOR CONSTITUTIONAL LIBERTY AND STATE SOVEREIGNTY IN OBEDIENCE TO THE TEACHINGS OF THE FATHERS, WHO FRAMED THE CONSTITUTION AND ESTABLISHED THE UNION OF THESE STATES. / AT APPOMATTOX GOD SAID TO THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIER "ABOUT FACE". IN OBEDIENCE TO THE CELESTIAL ORDER THERE WAS A CHANGE OF FRONT, AND THE GRAY LINE FACED THE FUTURE UNASHAMED AND UNAFRAID.
Although located on the campus of Louisburg College, the monument is owned by the town of Louisburg.
May 13, 1914
36.104230 , -78.297260 View in Geobrowse
Confederate Veteran 19 (1911), 520 Link
Confederate Veteran, 22 (1914), 537 Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Eighteenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Raleigh, North Carolina, October 14, 15, 16, 1914 (Goldsboro, N.C.: Nash Bros. Printers and Binders, 1914), 88, (accessed September 6, 2012) Link
Willard, George-Ann. Franklin County Sketchbook, (Louisburg: Franklin County-Louisburg Bicentenary Committee, 1982)
United Daughters of the Confederacy
This monument is located on North Main Street on the campus of Louisburg College. When the monument was constructed, Louisburg College was much smaller and did not extend all the way to the monument's current location. In the 1960’s the College expanded, and the monument became the center of campus. Although it appears that the monument belongs to the College, it is actually still owned by the town and is not considered a part of the campus.