Source: Confederate Monument, Oxford NC
Confederate Monument, Oxford
A bronze statue of a Confederate soldier stands atop a stepped granite base and a square pedestal. The monument is thirty-four feet tall, with the statue being seven feet. The soldier is pictured in the ready position to indicate that he is prepared for battle. Two Confederate flags, crossed, are engraved on the middle section of the pedestal. Its dedication was in September of 1904.
On the base: TO OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD / 1861-1865
On the die: GRANVILLE GRAYS/ CHAPTER / U.D.C.
On the plinth: C.S.A.
October 30, 1909
36.309720 , -78.587950
"Granville County Court House, Oxford, N.C." Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
"Section of Business District, Showing Confederate Monument, Oxford, NC" Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
Alderman, Derek H. and Owen J. Dwyer. "A Primer on the Geography of Memory: The Site and Situation of Commemorative Landscapes," Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina, (accessed May 16, 2012) Link
Conn, Edward L. "Confederate Monument Dedication," (Oxford, NC: Orphanage Press) Link
Pinnix, Frank M. Corner Stone of Confederate Monument Laid May 10, 1909, with Impressive Ceremony, (Oxford, NC: Orphanage Press, 1909), (accessed May 18, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Tenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division, Held at Durham, N.C., October 10th, 11th and 12th 1906, (Newton, NC: Enterprise Job Print., 1907), 81, (accessed May 23, 2012) Link
West, William F. "Oxford NC Confederate Monument Under Attack," Southern Heritage 411, (accessed February 1, 2011) Link
“List of Granville County Patriots of the Revolution,” Oxford Public Ledger (Oxford, NC), June 8, 1926
Warren County granite base, bronze statue
Granville Grays Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy
After a race riot it was moved to less prominent location.
At its original location, the monument faced outward from the courthouse toward Main Street. It was also the tallest structure in the area at the time, allowing it to occupy a place of great importance and honor in Oxford.
The monument was moved in 1971 from its very visible original location in front of the courthouse to the library grounds where it currently stands as a compromise following the Oxford race riot.