Monument to Cornelius Harnett, Wilmington
M. G. Delahunty, Sculptor
This monument, which stands in the median of Market Street, takes the shape a tall thin granite obelisk. It stands 28 feet 10 inches tall.
North Side: CORNELIUS HARNETT / 1723 / 1781 / PATRIOT AND STATESMAN
East Side: THE CAPE FEAR / FIRST EXPLORED / 1663 / FIRST SETTLEMENT / AT OLD TOWN / 1665 / PERMANENT SETTLEMENT / AT BRUNSWICK / 1725 / WILMINGTON FIRST ESTABLISHED / 1733
South Side: IN HONOR OF / THE HUNDRED AND FIFTY / MEN WHO MADE THE FIRST / ARMED RESISTANCE / IN THE AMERICAN COLONIES / TO THE OPPRESSIVE / STAMP ACT / OF THE / BRITISH PARLIAMENT / FEBRUARY 19TH 1766
West Side: THE / NORTH CAROLINA SOCIETY / OF THE COLONIAL DAMES / OF AMERICA / HAVE ERECTED THIS / MONUMENT TO THE MEMORY / OF THE COLONIAL / HEROES / OF THE LOWER CAPE FEAR
City of Wilmington
May 2, 1907
34.235670 , -77.944720
"Harnett Obelisk," Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museum, (accessed May 29, 2012) Link
"Harnett Obelisk," Cornelius Harnett, (accessed June 26, 2012) Link
Smith, C. Alphonso. "Our Debt to Cornelius Harnett. An Address by C. Alphonso Smith, Ph.D., LL.D., of the University of North Carolina," (Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Magazine, 1907), (accessed May 29, 2012) Link
The obelisk is made of Vermont Barre granite.
North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames
Cornelius Harnett, a merchant and statesman from Wilmington, was a leader in the resistance of the Stamp Act and was chairman of the Sons of Liberty. He later represented North Carolina in the Continental Congress.
The monument is located in the median of Market Street at its intersection with 4th Street. First Baptist Church is to the north of the monument.
The cornerstone was laid April 1906; the monument was fully installed in November of the same year and dedicated on May 2, 1907.