Arsenal Monument, Fayetteville
A bronze tablet sits upon a roughly-cut stone. The tablet is in relief; a pediment with decorated tympanum sits above an eagle with its wings spread across the tablet. Below is the text flanked by two ionic columns.
ARSENAL / THIS TABLET MARKS THE SITE OF AN IMPORTANT / ARSENAL OF THE CONFEDERATE GOVERNMENT. / AUTHORIZED BY THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS, / 1826. CAPTURED BY NORTH CAROLINA, APRIL / 28, 1861. / TRANSFERRED TO THE CONFEDERATE / GOVERNMENT, JUNE 5, 1861, AND DESTROYED / BY MAJOR GENERAL W. T. SHERMAN, / MARCH 11-14, 1865. / ERECTED 1928 BY / THE NORTH CAROLINA HISTORICAL COMMISSION / AND THE J.E.B. STUART CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY
May 22, 1928
35.054450 , -78.892400
"Arsenal Marker," The Historical Marker Database, (accessed August 14, 2012) Link
"Arsenal Monument," Markeroni.com, (accessed May 31, 2012) Link
"Fayetteville Arsenal," Wikipedia, (accessed August 14, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, J.E.B. Stuart Chapter, and the North Carolina Historical Commission. "The Honor of Your Presence is Requested at the Unveiling of a Marker on the Site of the Confederate Arsenal at Fayetteville, North Carolina," (1928), (accessed May 31, 2012) Link
The North Carolina Historical Commission and the United Daughters of the Confederacy, J.E.B. Stuart Chapter.
Also known as the Arsenal Marker.
This monument dedicates the arsenal that was built at this location in 1838 and destroyed in 1865, a victim of the Civil War. Confederate troops took control of the arsenal after it was vacated by Union forces in 1861. The Union later planned to regain control of the arsenal; Sherman took possession of it in 1865 and ordered it to be destroyed.
The monument is located in the four-acre Arsenal Park. It is next to the Museum of the Cape Fear. Though little remains of the Arsenal, one partial frame outbuilding still stands on the site.
The park in which the monument stands is used for educational events led by the Museum of the Cape Fear.