Malbourne Angier Bust, Durham
Jerome Brush, Sculptor
MALBOURNE A ANGIER / 1820 - - 1900 / MEMBER OF THE GENERAL / ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE / --- MAYOR OF DURHAM / CHAIRMAN OF THE COM / MISSIONERS OF THE / COUNTY -- JUSTICE OF THE / PEACE FOR FIFTY YEARS / --- HIS LIFE WAS GIVEN / TO THE SERVICE OF HIS / NEIGHBORS TO WHOM / HE WAS EVER A SYMBOL / OF RECTITUDE AND / PATTERN OF VIRTUE / --- PRESENTED TO THE COUNTY OF DURHAM / BY HIS DAUGHTER --- / SARAH ANGIER DUKE / AND UNVEILED BY HIS / GREAT - GRANDSON /ANGIER B DUKE II / NOVEMBER 30 1925
November 30, 1925
35.993970 , -78.899260 View in Geobrowse
"Bronze Bust of Angier Unveiled Before Large Gathering of Citizens." Durham Morning Herald, (Durham, NC) December 1, 1925
"Bronze Bust of Pioneer Citizen Will Be Unveiled Here Today on Courthouse Lawn; Program Inside." Durham Morning Herald,(Durham, NC), November 30, 1925
"Malbourne A. Angier," markeroni.com, (accessed June 23, 2014) Link
Anderson, Jean Bradley. Durham County: a history of Durham County, North Carolina, (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1990), (accessed June 23, 2014), 132 Link
Childs, Benjamin Guy. Centennial History of Trinity Methodist Church, (Durham, NC: The Seeman Printery, 1961), (accessed June 23, 2014), 5 Link
Sarah Angier Duke
The monument was unveiled by Malbourne A. Angier's great-grandson, Angier B. Duke II on the 105th anniversary of his birth. Several hundred visitors from all over the state attended the occasion, which was held in the superior courtroom at 2:30 pm. A prayer was offered by Rev. J. W. Wellone, centenarian and former pastor of the Christian Church of Durham. W. W. Fuller, a prominent citizen of Durham, spoke at the ceremony. He was introduced by Dr. W. P. Few, the president of Duke University. Both Fuller and Few had been friends of Angier. Durham attorney R. P. Reade accepted the monument on behalf of the city and county.
Angier was also known as "Squire."
Malbourne Addison Angier (1820-1900) owned much of the land in what is now the Fayetteville Street Historic District. He was a partner of Dr. Bartlett Durham in the town's first general store. During his lifetime, Durham experienced rapid growth, and he participated in many public institutions. According to one source, his willingness to sell land to blacks made the establishment of the Hayti neighborhood possible.
The monument to Angier was the third one placed on the courthouse grounds.
Sarah (Pearson) Angier Duke is the namesake of Sarah P. Duke Gardens.
The courthouse is part of the Downtown Durham Historic District.
The bust is located at 200 East Main Street, Durham, in front of the Old Durham County Courthouse. It stands in a landscaped bed on the northwest side of the courthouse steps, facing southeast.
The tree-lined street is complemented by decorative plantings in front of the 1916 limestone courthouse.