Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Confederate Soldiers Monument, Sylva

  • Type

    Common Soldier Statue

  • Subjects

    Civil War

  • Creator

    The W.H. Mullins Company, Supplier

    W. H. Mullins Company, Foundry

  • City

    Sylva

  • County

    Jackson

  • Description

    This monument depicts a Confederate infantryman standing at parade rest. The copper soldier stands atop a tiered stone base in front of the old courthouse building. The thick bottom tier of the monument is finished with rough stone, which gives way to graduated smooth stone steps inscribed to the heroes of the confederacy. Above the steps rises a square column with a colored confederate flag in bas-relief. The top of the column features the Confederate States of America design between the start and end dates of the Civil War. From this dignified base, the soldier looks out over the town. There is a plaque on the back (west) of the monument dedicating the monument to all those involved in the war.

    Vintage postcards. View of monument from base of courthouse steps: Postcard 1, Postcard 2.

  • Inscription

    Back (west), plaque: TO OUR VALIANT FATHERS:- / CHAMPIONS OF RECONCILIATION WITH / JUSTICE, OF UNION WITH MANHOOD, / OF PEACE WITH HONOR; THEY FOUGHT / WITH FAITHFULNESS, LABORED WITH / CHEERFULNESS, AND SUFFERED IN SILENCE. / TO OUR HEROIC MOTHERS:- / SPARTAN IN DEVOTION, TEUTON IN / SACRIFICE, IN PATIENCE SUPERIOR TO EITHER / AND IN MODESTY AND GRACE / MATCHLESS AMONG WOMANKIND.
    Front (east), plinth: 1861 CSA 1865
    Front (east), base: OUR HEROES / OF THE CONFEDERACY

  • Custodian

    Jackson County

  • Dedication Date

    September 18, 1915

  • Decade

    1910s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    35.373780 , -83.227640 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      "Illuminated Fountain at foot of Jackson County Court House, Sylva, N.C." in North Carolina Postcard Collection (P052), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link

      "Our Confederate Monument," Jackson County Journal (Sylva, NC), August 29, 1919, (accessed January 30, 2015)

      "Unveiling Monument," Jackson County Journal (Sylva, NC), August 27, 1915, (accessed January 30, 2015)

      "Unveiling of the Confederate Monument," Jackson County Journal (Sylva, NC), September 24, 1915, (accessed January 30, 2015)

      "Wanted," Jackson County Journal (Sylva, NC), August 27, 1915, (accessed January 30, 2015)

      Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments: An Illustrated History (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013).

      North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Confederate Soldiers Monument, Sylva, Jackson County," (accessed February 3. 2015) Link

      United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Nineteenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Charlotte, North Carolina, October 6, 7, 8, 1915 (Wilmington, N.C: Wilmington Stamp and Printing Company), 86, (accessed January 30, 2015) Link

      United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Twenty-Fifth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Winston-Salem, North Carolina, October 25, 26, 27, 1921 (Gastonia, N.C.: Brumley-Walters Printing Co.), 99-100, (accessed January 30, 2015) Link

      United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Twenty-Fourth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at New Bern, N.C., October 13, 14, 15, 1920 (Charlotte, N.C.: Queen City Printing Company, 1920), 139, (accessed January 30, 2015) Link

      “Historic Courthouse Images.” The Sylva Herald, (accessed February 10, 2015) Link

      “Jackson County Confederate Monument - Sylva, NC,” Waymarking.com, (accessed January 30, 2015) Link

      “Jackson County Confederate Monument, (sculpture).” Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museum, IAS 71500377, (accessed January 30, 2015) Link

      “Jackson County Court House, Sylva, N.C.,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link

      “Salem, Ohio History Makers Mural: W. H. Mullins, Industrialist,” Salem, Ohio History, (accessed January 30, 2015) Link

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Bronze, granite, copper

  • Monument Cost

    $1400

  • Monument Dedication and Unveiling

    Fifty years after the Civil War ended, the monument was unveiled with a series of grand celebrations. More than 3000 people from the town and surrounding area were in attendance. There was a parade commanded by Captain Frederick Rutledge of the Governor’s Horse Guards, a speech by General Theodore F. Davidson from Asheville, and music by First Regiment Brass Band from Asheville. The event also included children singing patriotic Southern songs and a “living flag” comprised of young women wearing red, white, and blue, as well as free dinner and special rates on transportation.

    In the mid-1990s, the statue was removed, refurbished, and then rededicated on May 11, 1996.

  • Subject Notes

    This monument was built to honor the 164 soldiers from Jackson County who served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, and all the citizens who helped with the war effort.

    The statue was made by the W. H. Mullins Company, which was a large manufacturing company in Salem, Ohio. At least eight other statues in the state of North Carolina are known Mullins’ products, including one from 1924 in Asheboro, N.C., which is identical except for the placement of the soldier’s backpack. Six statues are parade rest models dating from from 1911 to 1925 (including one monument in Albemarle and one in Greenville).

  • Location

    The monument stands halfway up the steps to the old Jackson County Courthouse building, which is now the town’s public library. The steps begin at the intersection of W. Main St. and Keener St. The War Memorial Fountain is at the bottom of the courthouse impressive staircase.

  • Landscape

    The monument is surrounded by stone steps and the green, landscaped grounds of the library. It overlooks the hilly downtown area to the east.

  • Post Dedication Use

    June 23, 1921 there was a ceremony during which wreaths were placed on the monument by the B. H. Cathey Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.