Carteret County Confederate Soldiers Monument, Beaufort
A bronze Confederate soldier stands atop a granite pedestal. The soldier stands at parade rest, holding his rifle which rests on the ground. The Confederate flag is shown in bas-relief on the pedestal, above the inscription.
Pedestal, top: CSA
Pedestal, center: TO THE MEMORY OF THE / CONFEDERATE DEAD / OF CARTERET COUNTY / 1861-1865 / ERECTED BY / THE DAUGHTERS OF / CONFEDERACY / FORT MACON CHAPTER / BEAUFORT, N.C. 1926 / NOT EVEN TIME CAN DESTROY HEROISM
Pedestal, bottom: OUR CONFEDERATE HEROES
The United Daughters of the Confederacy, Fort Macon Chapter
May 10, 1926
34.719340 , -76.662800
"Beaufort, North Carolina," North Carolina History, (accessed January 25, 2013) Link
"Confederate Memorial Monument," Beaufort, NC-The Town and Why It's Unique, blogspot.com, (accessed January 25, 2013) Link
"Memorial Monument to Confederate Soldiers, (sculpture)." Smithsonian Art Inventories Catalog IAS NC000220, (accessed January 25, 2013) Link
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Beaufort," North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed September 15, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Twenty-Seventh Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Held at Greensboro, North Carolina, October 4-6, 1923 (Raleigh, N.C.: Edwards & Broughton Printing Company, 1924), 139, (accessed September 15, 2012) Link
“Memorial to Confederate Soldiers Now Stands on Courthouse Grounds,” The Beaufort News (Beaufort, NC), May 13, 1926, A1
Bronze and granite
United Daughters of the Confederacy, Fort Macon Chapter: Morehead City Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy; and Mr. F. S. Dickinson, a businessman from Rutherford, N.J.
The monument was dedicated on May 10, 1926. According to a personal account, Senator Simmons from New Bern made a speech, and bands played.
In contrast to the destruction visited on other major cities and ports in the south during the Civil War, Beaufort was left untouched and was occupied by Union forces beginning in April 1862.
The statue sits on the south lawn of the County Courthouse in Beaufort and faces outward toward the street.
The statue sits on the lawn surrounded by plantings, hedges, and mature trees.