S. S. John D. Gill Memorial Marker, Southport
Hanover Monument Works, Foundry
The monument is a low granite stele set in a concrete base. The front and back faces are smooth stone and inscribed, and the sides are rough cut.
Front inscription: DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF / CATALINO TINGZON / INTERRED IN NORTHWOOD CEMETERY / AND ALL MERCHANT MARINE SEAMEN AND / U. S. NAVY ARMED GUARD ON THE TANKER / S. S. JOHN D. GILL TORPEDOED AND SUNK OFF / CAPE FEAR BY THE GERMAN SUBMARINE U-158 / MARCH 12, 1942 / THE CITIZENS OF SOUTHPORT CARED FOR THE / SURVIVORS AND MOURNED FOR THOSE / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES. / ERECTED MARCH 12, 1994 / BY THE/SOUTHPORT HISTORICAL SOCIETY
City of Southport
March 12, 1994
33.917170 , -78.018340
"Catalino Tingzon," The Historical Marker Database, (accessed January 28, 2013) Link
"Marker Memorial S. S. John D. Gill, (sculpture)." Smithsonian Art Inventories Catalog IAS NC000018, (accessed January 28, 2013) Link
"Monument dedicated to Gill, survivors," The State Port Pilot (March 16, 1994), 1, 7,
Carson, Susie. "'Gill' survivors still coming back," Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), May 3, 2002, 30, (accessed January 28, 2013) Link
Hartlaub, Jan. "One family never notified of World War II death at sea," StarNews Online (Wilmington, NC), May 22, 2012, (accessed January 28, 2013) Link
Granite and concrete
Southport Historical Society
More than three hundred people attended the unveiling at the waterfront on a cold March day in 1994. Susie Carson, on the board of the Southport Historical Society, served as the "master of ceremonies" and gave the address.
Catalino Tingzon Memorial
The stone slab commemorates the sinking of the S. S. John D. Gill, an American merchant marine tanker ship which was torpedoed off the coast by the German submarine U-158 on March 12, 1942 on its return to Philadelphia. Twenty-three men were killed in the German attack on the ship, one of whom was a young Filipino sailor named Catalino Tingzon who is buried in an unmarked grave in Northwood Cemetery.
The memorial is located in Waterfront Park, with its back facing the Cape Fear River.
The monument is located in a grassy area of the park, between a walkway and the water.