Colonel Ben Cleveland Statue, Wilkesboro
Robert Mayer, Sculptor
Ralph J. Williams, Sculptor
Noah Boland, Sculptor
Bobby Foster, Sculptor
Standing portrait of Col. Ben Cleveland in his Revolutionary War uniform holding a steel sword in his raised proper left hand and a horn in his proper right hand. He is dressed in a three-cornered hat, a knee-length coat, breeches, white stockings, and laced, ankle-length, cuffed boots. The figure is painted gray. The sculpture rests on a square base atop a low foundation.
Marker in front of foundation: COLONEL BEN CLEVELAND / 1738 - 1806 / WILKES COUNTY MILITIA
Wilkes County Commissioners
November 23, 1975
36.148880 , -81.152140 View in Geobrowse
Waugh, Betty Linney, 1979. "Cleveland, Benjamin," NCpedia.org (accessed September 2, 2014) Link
"Col. Ben Cleveland, (sculpture)," Smithsonian Art Inventories Catalog, #IAS NC000304, (accessed April 16, 2013) Link
"Colonel Ben Cleveland - Wilkesboro, North Carolina," Waymarking.com, (accessed September 2, 2014) Link
“Wilkes County Courthouse, Wilkesboro, N. C,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Powdered clay mixed with concrete over chicken wire and metal rod, painted, and steel, concrete base
Colonel Ben Cleveland (1738-1806) was a resident of Wilkes County. During the Revolutionary War he organized a militia and led an attack against British troops on King Mountain. As a result of his heroic action he received a field promotion to the rank of Colonel. The statue was a Bicentennial project of the sculpture class at Wilkes Community College.
The statue is located on the 100 block of North Bridge Street, Wilkesboro, NC. Several historical makers and monuments can be found nearby, including the Wilkes County Confederate memorial, Cannon Circle, Veterans Memorial, Daniel Boone’s Trail marker, Time Capsule and two Tory Oaks markers.
The statue sits on the side of a street, near a parking lot, behind the Wilkes Heritage Museum building.