Pitt County Confederate Soldiers Monument, Greenville
W. H. Mullins Company, Foundry
This monument presents a Common soldier statue situated atop a tall tapered column. The soldier stands with his arms crossed as they rest atop the muzzle of his rifle with the butt resting on the ground in front of him. He wears a Confederate uniform with a wide brimmed hat.
The column bears a bas-relief image of a Confederate flag unfurled around its pole. The plinth contains a medallion above the inscription, and the initials of the Confederate States of America are engraved on the cap above.
Vintage postcard image, circa 1915-1930
Front: OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD
Right: TO THE HEROES OF 1861-1865
Left: ERECTED BY THE PEOPLE OF PITT COUNTY IN GRATEFUL / REMEMBRANCE OF THE COURAGE & FORTITUDE OF HER CONFEDERATE / SOLDIERS
Rear: DEDICATED 1914
Pitt County Courthouse
November 13, 1914
35.613370 , -77.372650 View in Geobrowse
"Pitt County Court House, Greenville, N.C.," in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (accessed June 16, 2013) Link
"Pitt County Courthouse, Greenville," in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (accessed June 13, 2013) Link
Butler, Douglas. North Carolina Civil War monuments: an illustrated history (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013), 136.
Norris, David. "'The Yankees Have Been Here!': The Story of Brig. Gen. Edward E. Potter's Raid on Greenville, Tarboro, and Rocky Mount, July 19-23, 1863," The North Carolina Historical Review Vol LXXIII: 1 (January 1996).
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Pitt County," North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed June 13, 2013) Link
Pitt County [North Carolina] Board of Commissioners. "February 20, 2006 Minutes," (accessed June 16, 2013) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Fourteenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Held at Rocky Mount N.C., October 12, 13, 14, 1910, 94, (accessed June 14, 2013) Link
WRAL.com. "Group Wants Confederate Monument Removed from Pitt Courthouse," News, February 23, 2006, (accessed June 16, 2013) Link
A reference in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division, annual meeting minutes from 1910 indicates the George B. Singletary Chapter No. 313 at Greenville was organizing that year for laying of the cornerstone of the monument. The monument itself indicates sponsorship by the citizens of Pitt County.
The monument was dedicated on November 13, 1914, and the address was given by Governor Locke Craig.
During the days of July 19 to 23, 1863, Greenville was raided as part of the Union effort under General Edward Potter to disable the rail routes in the eastern part of the state along with the cotton mills at Rocky Mount. Potter's advance through New Bern, Kinston, Greenville, Rocky Mount, and Tarboro has become known as Potter's Raid. Potter and his troops entered Greenville on Sunday the 19th without being met by Confederate troops. Locals reported widespread looting by the Union soldiers following the departure of the troops late in the afternoon.
The Pitt County monument has been the subject of calls for removal since 2006. A group of citizens petitioned county commissioners requesting removal of the statue from its installation on public property.
The monument sits on the right side of the courthouse grounds at the corner of West 3rd and South Evans Streets. It faces south.
The monument sits in the lawn between a walkway connecting the south and east entrances to the courthouse and the sidewalk along West 3rd and South Evans Streets. Mature trees are located on the edge of the lawn area as they flank the monument.