Confederate Monument, Albemarle
W. H. Mullins Company, Salem, OH, Foundry
A statue of a common Confederate soldier stands atop a pedestal. The monument stands around ten feet tall and about four feet wide. The inscriptions are on three sides of the monument. The inscription on the right side quotes from Rudyard Kipling’s poem “Recessional,” which was composed on the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The monument was located on the lawn of Central Elementary School in the downtown area but now stands in a small public park area.
Vintage postcard image of monument
Front Side (direction soldier is facing): 1861 / 1865 / CSA
Right Side: In honor of the Confederate Soldiers of Stanly County / Erected by / Albemarle Chapter U.D.C. / 1925/ “The tumult and the shouting dies / The captains and the kings depart / Lord, God of Hosts, be with us yet / Lest we forget—lest we forget.”
Left Side: “We care not whence they came / Dear in their lifeless clay / Whether unknown or known to fame / Their cause and country still the same / They died—and wore / the gray.”
City of Albemarle
September 25, 1925
35.349910 , -80.201080 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments: An Illustrated History (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013), 136.
Curtis, Sue J. "North Carolina Confederate Memorials," North Carolina United Daughters of the Confederacy, (accessed June 6, 2014) Link
Smith, Blanche Lucas. North Carolina's Confederate Monuments and Memorials, (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1941)
United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, (accessed June 6, 2014) Link
“Confederate Monument, Albemarle, North Carolina,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
UDC chapter of Albemarle
Mr. R. L. Brown spoke at the unveiling. Major Hathcock was the master of ceremonies and Miss Mary Mabry made the presentation address. Mrs. M. H. Morton accepted the monument on behalf of the UDC chapter.
The monument is located on South Depot Street, its fourth location.
The monument is situated behind three flags in a small public park, right off a public street.
The monument was originally located on a median in the center of the 100 Block of North First Street. In the early 1950s, it was relocated to a prominent location in front of Central Elementary School. The statue remained at this location until 1970 when it was moved to North Second Street in front of a Methodist church.
Approved by city commissioners in 1924.