The Christoph von Graffenreid Memorial, New Bern
William Emsley Hipp, III, Sculptor
Bust of Baron Christoph von Graffenreid (Christopher De Graffenried) stands on a rectangular pedestal and low, square base. The figure has long, full hair and a cravat at his neck. Two coats of arms appear at the top of the plaque on the base.
Plaque on base: BARON / CHRISTOPHER / DE GRAFFENRIED / FOUNDER OF NEW BERN / NORTH CAROLINA / SEPTEMBER 11, 1710 / LANDGRAVE OF CAROLINA / BARON OF BERNBURG / LORD OF WORB, WIKARTSWIL / AND TRIMSTEIN / GOVERNOR OF YVERTON / KNIGHT OF THE PURPLE RIBBON / MEMBER OF THE ORDER OF SUNSHINE / MASTER OF ARTS / DOCTOR OF LAW / HONORARY CITIZEN OF LONDON / BORN 1661 IN BERN, SWITZERLAND / DIED 1743 IN WORB, SWITZERLAND / HE ESTABLISHED HERE / THE FIRST ORGANIZED / AND SUBSTANTIAL COLONY / IN NORTH CAROLINA
Plaque on the reverse side of the base lists contributors, dates and a remembrance of Mayor Mathias E. Manly, Jr.
April 9, 1989
35.106820 , -77.038650 View in Geobrowse
"The De Graffenried Memorial - New Bern, NC," Waymarking.com, (accessed June 29, 2014) Link
"The De Graffenried Memorial," Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museum, (accessed June 29, 2014) Link
Dill, A. T., 1986. "Graffenried, Christoph, Baron Von," NCpedia.org (accessed November 1, 2014) Link
Bronze sculpture, Mexican soft granite base
Baron Christoph von Graffenreid (1661-1743) was a Swiss aristocrat and founder of the City of New Bern. Read more in Graffenried, Christoph, Baron Von at NCpedia.org.
The memorial is located between City Hall and Christ Episcopal Church at 300 Pollack Street, West side, New Bern, North Carolina 28560.
The memorial bust sits between three flag poles, surrounded by manicured bushes off of a city sidewalk. It is located beside a three-story, red brick city hall and a small playground.