Greenfield Lake Veterans Memorial, Wilmington
This marker honors the courageous service of all military personnel from Wilmington and New Hanover County who fought in U.S. military conflicts. It is composed of a low rectangular block of granite with a bronze plaque affixed to the angled front face. The marker itself sits atop a thin square granite base. The sides and base are roughly chiseled, with a smooth front holding the plaque.
Image: View of setting
IN MEMORIUM / IN DESERVED AND LOVING TRIBUTE TO THE VALOR OF / THOSE FROM WILMINGTON AND NEW HANOVER COUNTY / WHO FOUGHT FOR JUSTICE AND RIGHT IN ALL AMERICAN WARS. / THIS EMBLEM WILL EVER PERPETUATE THEIR HONORED / DEEDS. IT EXEMPLIFIES THE LIMITLESS GRATITUDE / AND CONTINUING OBLIGATION OF AN UNDERSTANDING / AND APPRECIATIVE CITIZENSHIP. THEY WILL ALWAYS / HOLD IN GRATEFUL RECOLLECTION THE SPLENDID / SPIRIT OF THOSE WHO IN DEVOTION AND LOYALTY / GLADLY ANSWERED THE CALL OF THEIR COUNTRY. / ERECTED JULY 29, 1950.
Greenfield Lake Park and Gardens, City of Wilmington
July 29, 1950
34.207710 , -77.932900
City of Wilmington City Council. "Ordinance," April 5, 2011, (accessed September 5, 2013) Link
City of Wilmington. "Local Historic Landmark Designation," April 5, 2011, 14, (accessed September 5, 2013)
Cook, Winifred. “Memorial Plaque Dedication Held,” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), July 30, 1950, 1-2.
The City of Wilmington and the Wilmington Sorosis Club
The Greenfield Lake Veterans Memorial was dedicated on July 29, 1950 at Greenfield Park. Three hundred people looked on as Dr. Karl Rosenthall and Charles Chadbourn unveiled the marker and dedicated it to veterans of all American Wars. Dr. Rosenthall also spoke, reminding the audience that “[t]he pride in our eyes and the glow in our heart must carry the torch for those who have fallen.”
The City of Wilmington purchased the park property in 1925 from private citizens, Mr. and Mrs. Sheddy Mitchell. Over a period of years, the City and the Wilmington Sorosis Club, along with other civic groups, made improvements, adding roads, pathways, gardens, sculpture, and memorials, including the veterans memorial in 1950.
The marker is located in Greenfield Park, off East Lakeshore Drive on the north side of the lake. The front of the marker faces roughly north.
The marker sits within a paved circular walkway, several feet from the sidewalk along East Lakeshore Drive. Low decorative plantings and shrubs surround the walkway, and a tall flagpole flying the American Flag sits just behind the marker.
The idea for the memorial was proposed in 1950, the year of the park's 25th anniversary, by City Councilman J. E. L. Wade. Wade proposed that park land be designated and a memorial erected in honor of all local citizens who served in U.S. wars.