Kings Mountain Hoover Monument, Kings Mountain National Military Park, Blacksburg (SC)
Erected on October 7, 1931, one year after the visit of President Herbert Hoover to the battlefield to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the battle, the Hoover Monument is a 5’ x 1’ x 4’ elliptical piece of uncut granite with a 12” x 19” bronze plaque.
ON THIS SITE / PRESIDENT HOOVER / ADDRESSED AN AUDIENCE OF 75,000 / AT THE CELEBRATION OF THE / SESQUI CENTENNIAL / OF THE BATTLE OF KINGS MOUNTAIN / OCT. 7, 1930
National Park Service, Kings Mountain National Military Park
October 7, 1931
35.141360 , -81.385430 View in Geobrowse
"1930 Battle of Kings Mountain Event with President Herbert Hoover. No sound" in "Belmont, NC History." YouTube video, posted by D H Stowe, February 16, 2013 (accessed February 28, 2014) Link
"SAR, DAR members attend anniversary at Kings Mountain," The News-Reporter (Washington, GA), October 21, 2010, (accessed September 24, 2013) Link
De Van Massey, Gregory. An Administrative History of Kings Mountain National Military Park, (U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Southeast Region, 1995)
Draper, Lyman Copeland, Allaire, Anthony, and Shelby, Isaac. King’s Mountain and Its Heroes: History of the Battle of King’s Mountain, October 7th 1780, and the Events which Led to It, (Cincinnati: Peter G. Thomson, 1881) Link
Hoover, Herbert. "Address on the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Kings Mountain.," October 7, 1930. Online by Gerhard Peters and John T. Woolley, The American Presidency Project, (accessed September 24, 2013) Link
United States Department of the Interior National Park Service. "National Park Service National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form [Moore's Creek National Military Park No. 66000070]," (), accessed December 6, 2012 Link
Granite base, bronze plaque
Daughters of the American Revolution Kings Mountain Chapter
The monument memorializes the location where then President Herbert Hoover gave an address at the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Kings Mountain. A crowd of several thousand people attended the October 7, 1930 event, with reports of between 30,000 and 70,000. In his speech, Hooever made reference to the significant effect the victory by a small band of backcountry patriots had on building morale in the revolutionary forces and in turning the tide for the American war effort: "This is a place of inspiring memories. Here less than a thousand men, inspired by the urge of freedom, defeated a superior force intrenched in this strategic position. This small band of patriots turned back a dangerous invasion well designed to separate and dismember the united Colonies. It was a little army and a little battle, but it was of mighty portent. History has done scant justice to its significance, which rightly should place it beside Lexington and Bunker Hill, Trenton and Yorktown, as one of the crucial engagements in our long struggle for independence."
The monument is is located on the east end of the park on a wooded rise west of the Battlefield Ridge.
The monument sits in a wooded site.
Members of the Kettle Creek chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Washington-Wilkes chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution participated in the October 7, 2010 observance of the anniversary of the battle.