Confederate Monument [Thrash's Monument], Candler
GW Sellers & Son, Unspecified
Standing twenty-one feet high, this monument is an obelisk of Tennessee marble erected by Captain A. B. Thrash, commander of Company 1, 25th Regiment of North Carolina Volunteers. Thrash had the monument erected to the memory of the Confederate company he commanded and of those who lie buried in the cemetery near the monument. The names of those who joined up with Company 1 were inscribed on the monument. According to the 1907 volume of the Confederate Veteran, the image above includes survivors from Company 1.
Montmorenci Methodist Church
August 8, 1903
35.534740 , -82.695050 View in Geobrowse
Confederate Veteran, 15 (1907), p. 210. Link
Confederate Veteran, 17 (1909), p. 473. Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments: An Illustrated History (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013), 164.
“Veterans’ Reunion At Candler Aug. 7,” Asheville Citizen Times (Asheville, NC), June 5, 1903
Captain A. B. Thrash and private subscriptions
The Company J, 25th NC Regiment annual reunion for 1903 was held August 7, 8 and 9 in Candler with the monument dedication taking place on Saturday the 8th. The program for the day was for a company roll call to take place at 11am. This was to be followed by addresses by W.G. Candler who donated the land where the monument stands and Locke Craig (later NC Governor). Dinner was scheduled for 2pm with Judge Fred Moore, J.M. Gudger, Jr. and others to speak afterwards. Asheville members of the Daughters of the Confederacy were also asked to attend.
The monument is located in the center of the cemetery of a small brick church, the M. E. Church South. The Montmorenci Methodist Church address is 89 Old Candler Town Rd. in the unincorporated community of Chandler.
The church sits on a hilltop overlooking Old Candler Town Rd. The cemetery is behind and to the left of the church.