Robert A. Fields Memorial, Clinton
Commemorating the service of Robert A. Fields and all other who gave their lives in fighting during World War II, this monument is a simple granite marker, about 5 feet in height, located adjacent to a Vietnam Memorial monument of similar appearance and size. There are two visible engravings on the front of the monument, the largest being that of the inscription remembering Robert A. Fields and those from Sampson County killed during World War II. The smaller inscription is located on the base level of the marker, describing the sponsors of the monument.
Marker, front: IN MEMORY OF / ROBERT A. FIELDS, E.M. 3C / U.S. NAVY, WHO DIED / DEC. 7, 1941, THE FIRST / SAMPSON COUNTY MAN / KILLED IN WORLD WAR II, / AND ALL OTHERS THAT / GAVE THEIR LIVES / FROM SAMPSON COUNTY, / NORTH CAROLINA.
Base, front: ERECTED BY / AMERICAN LEGION POST #22 / VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS / POST #7547
34.997920 , -78.323580 View in Geobrowse
"United States Navy USS Oklahoma," World War II Casualty Lists (accessed June 5, 2014) Link
Gentile, Linda. "Robert A. Fields/World War II Memorial," Markeroni.com, (accessed June 5, 2014) Link
United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, USS Arizona Memorial. "Comprehensive List of the Names of All Civilians and Military Personnel Killed in the Attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1941" (accessed June 5, 2014) Link
Waymarking.com. "Robert A. Fields, E.M. 3c - Clinton, NC," Specific Veteran Memorials on Waymarking.com (accessed June 5, 2014) Link
Waymarking.com. "Robert A. Fields/World War II Memorial - Clinton North Carolina," World War II Memorials / Monuments on Waymarking.com (accessed June 5, 2014) Link
America Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
Robert A. Fields served in World War II with the U.S. Navy USS Oklahoma on Battleship BB-37. He was killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.
The monument is located in front of the Sampson County Courthouse, adjacent to a Vietnam Memorial monument. It stands off of East Main Street between North Wall Street and Court Street.
The monument stands in a grass and mulch area in front of the courthouse. It is surrounded by small bushes and shrubs.