Memorial Arch, Sunset Hill Cemetery, Littleton
Campbell Bros. of Raleigh, Designer
The memorial arch consists of two stone plinths spanned by a metal arch with the centered, painted words "Sunset Hill." It stands at the entrance to the Sunset Hill Cemetery, facing the small access road of North Main Street.
Images: Left plinth | Right plinth
Front, left plinth: PRESENTED BY / ROANOKE MINUTE MEN / CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / 1930
Front, right plinth: IN MEMORY OF / OUR BELOVED / CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / 1861 + 1865
The Town of Littleton
June 3, 1930
36.432130 , -77.919300 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments: An Illustrated History (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013).
Curtis, Sue J. "North Carolina Confederate Memorials," May 27, 2011, North Carolina United Daughters of the Confederacy, (accessed May 7, 2013) Link
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Halifax County," North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed June 6, 2014) Link
Smith, Blanche Lucas. North Carolina's Confederate Monuments and Memorials, (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1941)
Rough-hewn granite, smooth stone tablets, metal
The unveiling took place at sunset. The program opened with the song Carolina, after which Chaplain Francis Joyner led an invocation. Mrs. T. J. Miles spoke regarding the history of the Roanoke Minute Men Chapter and paid tribute to the Daughters of the Confederacy resting in the cemetery. Then Mrs. W. M. Perkins introduced the main speaker, the Honorable Jno. M. Picot. Four small children assisted with the unveiling, and finally the chaplain led a benediction.
June 3, the date of the monument's dedication, is Jefferson's Davis birthday.
Sue J. Curtis lists the unveiling date as June 3, 1900 in her list of North Carolina Confederate Memorials.
Blanche Lucas Smith states that the smooth tablets are marble, while Douglas Butler's book describes them as stone.
The entrance to the Sunset Hill Cemetery faces the small access road of North Main Street.
The surroundings consist of a wooded cemetery.