Pasquotank County Confederate Monument, Elizabeth City
McNeel Marble Company, Marietta, GA, Supplier
This statue is located at the Pasquotank County Courthouse. Both the statue and pedestal are made of
granite. On the south side base, the year 1861 is inscribed along with a Confederate battle flag and the
year 1865. A uniformed Confederate soldier wears a knife hanging from his belt on the left side and
stands at rest with a rifle on his right. His uniform is completed with a hat, canteen, and bed roll.
Additional decoration includes a cannon ball on each side of the base. The soldier is six feet six inches
tall and the total height is thirty feet.
Images: Far-off contemporary view of the memorial | Front inscription | Rear inscription
Front, south face: OUR HEROES
Rear, north face: TO OUR / CONFEDERATE DEAD / ERECTED BY / THE D.H. HILL CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS / OF THE CONFEDERACY / ELIZABETH CITY / NORTH CAROLINA / MAY 10th 1911
United Daughters of the Confederacy
May 10, 1911
36.300100 , -76.222080 View in Geobrowse
"Elizabeth City Confederate Monument," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed July 7, 2016) Link
"Pasquotank County Confederate Monument --- Elizabeth City NC," Waymarking.com, (accessed June 9, 2014) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments: An Illustrated History (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013), 136.
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Confederate Soldiers Monument, Pasquotank County Courthouse, Elizabeth City, NC. ," (accessed August 12, 2014) Link
“Alderman Grant Site For Monument,” Tar Heel (Elizabeth City, NC), April 7, 1911
“Confederate Monument At Elizabeth City,” The New Bern Sun (New Bern, NC),April 22, 1911
“Confederate Shaft Unveiled With Impressive Ceremonies,” The Raleigh Times (Raleigh, NC), May 11, 1911
“Memorials and Markers,” Lost Souls Genealogy, Pasquotank, http://pasquotank.lostsoulsgenealogy.com, (accessed June 27, 2016) Link
“Pasquotank County Courthouse, Elizabeth City, N.C.,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
D.H. Hill Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.
$2,650. $1,000 raised by local subscription. $500 each from the Elizabeth City Board of Aldermen and Pasquotank County Commissioners. $650 unknown
The featured unveiling speaker was the president of Elizabeth City College, and later North Carolina State University, D.H. Hill, Jr. Hill was the son of Lieutenant-General D.H. Hill, a high-ranking member of the Confederacy. Prior to Hill’s address a presentation speech was made by Miss S.E. Martin who fifty years earlier had presented a Confederate flag to the first troops to leave the area to fight for the south. Miss Lillian Whitehurst pulled the cord to unveil the monument as the naval reserve fired a salute. The audience then rendered the song “Old Time Confederates” with “an enthusiasm that thrilled the hearts of all.” The dedication was followed by an indoor feast.
The Pasquotank County Confederate Soldier monument was dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The statue was sold by the McNeel Marble Company from Marietta, Georgia, which produced many other Confederate statues and sold them all over the South, including Macon County Confederate Monument in Franklin, Confederate Soldiers Monument in Hertford, Perquimans county, Alamance County Confederate Monument in Graham, and Confederate Monument in Durham.
The monument is located on a plaza between the Pasquotank County Courthouse and a federal building, off of East Main Street in Elizabeth City, NC. In 1911 this was the since closed Pool Street with the monument being in the center of the street. Other memorials in the area include plaques to World War One/World War Two dead, Korea and Vietnam war and “Historic Events” on the front walls of the courthouse.
The statue is surrounded by bushes, forming a circle around the monument. The statue is on a lawn, on a paved path, and set against the backdrop of the downtown city buildings.