Source: Washington's Visit
Washington's Visit, Guilford Courthouse
A bronze plaque on a stone marker commemorates President George Washington's visit to the area, then known as Martinville, on June 2, 1791. The monument measures 3'1" in height and 3'1" in width.
Images (courtesy of Natasha Smith): Bronze plaque | View of the memorial
IN / PATRIOTIC COMMEMORATION / OF THE VISIT / OF / GEORGE WASHINGTON / ON HIS / TOUR OF THE / SOUTHERN STATES / 1791 / MARKED BY THE NORTH CAROLINA / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / 1925
Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
November 11, 1925
36.131830 , -79.846530 View in Geobrowse
"Inventory Form - Guilford Courthouse National Military Park," National Register of Historic Places, (accessed February 6, 2012) Link
Baker, Thomas E. and Michael H. White. The Monuments at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, North Carolina, (Greensboro, NC: Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, 1991)
Baker, Thomas. "Guilford Courthouse: George Washington’s Visit – June 2, 1791," National Park Service, (accessed February 1, 2012) Link
Farnham, Thomas J. "Washington's Southern Tour," NCPEDIA, 2006 (accessed May 28, 2014) Link
“Washington’s Southern States Tour,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed April 11, 2018) Link
Granite and bronze
North Carolina Daughters of the American Revolution
Washington was completing the last leg of an 83-day tour of the southern states when he stopped in North Carolina to visit with Alexander Martin, Governor of North Carolina, and to see the Guilford Courthouse battlefield.
There are several stone markers across North Carolina that commemorate President Washington's tour of the southern states in 1791. Notable among them are George Washington Tree Marker in Hampstead outside Wilmington, George Washington and Henry Clay Marker in Wilmington, George Washington Boulder in Lexington, commemorative plaque in Tarboro, "George Washington Visit in Greenville, and "George Washington Stopped Here" Marker in Arcadia,
This monument is located along a walking trail in Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, on Old Battlefield Road.
The memorial marker stands on grass surrounded by mature trees and bushes.