General William Lee Davidson Grave, Huntersville
John J. Morton Company, Designer
Winnsboro Granite, Supplier
The memorial of General Davidson stands about three feet tall and sits amongst many other graves. The front of the granite structure features a large bronze plaque with a long inscription. The other sides of the structure are roughly carved and have a natural granite finish. The memorial does not stand out amongst the other graves.
Images: Inscription | Rear view
TO THE MEMORY OF / GENERAL WILLIAM LEE DAVIDSON / OF MECKLENBURG COUNTY, N.C. / BORN IN 1746, YOUNGEST SON OF GEORGE DAVIDSON / OF LANCASTER, PA. WHO MOVED TO MECKLENBURG CO. / NORTH CAROLINA, IN 1750. / MAJOR 4TH. REG. NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS. / PROMOTED LIEUTENANT-COLONEL. / SEVERELY WOUNDED AT CALSON’S MILL. / HE WAS PROMOTED FOR BRAVERY / TO THE RANK OF BRIGADIER-GENERAL. / WITH 300 MEN OPPOSING CORNWALLIS AND TROOPS / HE WAS KILLED AT BATTLE OF COWAN’S FORD / FEBRUARY 1, 1781. / ERECTED BY / THE MECKLENBURG DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 1920
Hopewell Presbyterian Church
September 29, 1920
35.366170 , -80.897640 View in Geobrowse
"Rich History," Town of Huntersville, (accessed June 12, 2014) Link
Gillispie, Molly. “General William Lee Davidson ” Davidson Encyclopedia (2001)
“Monument to Gen Davidson,” The Charlotte News (Charlotte, NC), September 30, 1920, (accessed April 1, 2014)
“Plans Complete For Exercises,” The Charlotte News (Charlotte, NC), September 28, 1920, (accessed April 1, 2014)
Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
Dedication ceremonies were held at the Hopewell Presbyterian Church on September 29, 1920. The ceremony featured a number of speakers and a musical performance by the Davidson College band. Davidson College was named after the General. Basket dinners were served by members of the D.A.R.
“Davidson College was named in honor of General William Lee Davidson, a local Revolutionary War hero who died at the battle of Cowan’s Ford in 1781. His son, William Lee Davidson II, provided the initial acreage for the college.” Gillispie, Molly. “General William Lee Davidson ” Davidson Encyclopedia 2001
The memorial is situated amongst other graves in the common graveyard of Hopewell Presbyterian Church.
The tombstone sits atop the physical burial site of General Davidson.