Thomasville and Davidson County Civil War Memorial, Thomasville
This war memorial is reminiscent of a simple grave marker. Made of gray granite, it is a rectangular plane, peaked at the top. It has inscriptions on both the front and rear face.
Front (facing the street): “1861-1865 / LEAST [sic] WE FORGET” / [Confederate seal and cross] /
DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY / OF THOSE SOLDIERS FROM / THOMASVILLE AND DAVIDSON / COUNTY THAT SERVED IN / THE CONFEDERACY DURING THE / WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE / NEAR THIS SPOT IN 1861 / SOLDIERS BOARDED A TRAIN / TO LEAVE FOR THE WAR / MANY NEVER TO RETURN
Rear (facing railroad tracks): DONATIONS IN MEMORY OF / 14TH REGIMENT NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS / BY / 14TH REGIMENT NORTH CAROLINA TROOPS REACTIVATED / PVT. JOHN SPENCER TURNER / BY / STEVE ANTHONY VESTAL AND LOUISE TURNER ADAMS / PVT. BARTLETT YANCY CLARK / 14TH REGIMENT, NCT’S CO H / PVT. WILLIAM CLAY ROUTH / 22ND NC TROOPS, CO M / PVT. THOMAS M. BLANKENSHIP / 17TH VA REGT, CO. G / PVT. WILLIAM ALEXANDER SULLIVAN / PVT. CHARLES PAYNE / SANFORD PAYNE / PVT. WILLIAM C. CARTER / PVT. DAVID EDDINGER / DONATED BY / THE THOMASVILLE RIFLES / SCV CAMP 172
The monument may have been erected sometime around 1910.
35.883070 , -80.080370 View in Geobrowse
"Thomasville and Davidson County Civil War Veterans," markeroni.com, (accessed December 4, 2014) Link
The Sons of Confederate Veterans, “Thomasville Rifles”, Camp 172
Located near the Old Depot in Thomasville, the memorial stands next to a flag, near the railroad tracks. Close to the intersection of East Main and Cramer streets, at 55 East Main Street, Thomasville, NC.
The monument stands in a grass area between East Main Street and railroad tracks, surrounded by shady trees.