Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Men and Women of Anson County WWI Memorial, Wadesboro

  • Type

    Plaque

  • Subjects

    World War I

  • City

    Wadesboro

  • County

    Anson

  • Description

    A rectangular bronze plaque mounted to an exterior wall of the Anson County courthouse lists the names of white men and women who served during World War One. A symbol for the Daughters of the American Revolution surrounded by a wreath is at the top of the plaque with inscriptions and names listed below. A similar bronze plaque lists the names of African American men and women who served during WWI.

  • Inscription

    Top: 1917 1919 / IN HONOR OF THE MEN AND WOMEN / OF ANSON COUNTY WHO WENT FORTH / AT THE CALL OF THEIR COUNTRY / TO SERVE IN / THE GREAT WAR FOR WORLD-WIDE LIBERTY. / [five columns list the names of 450 men and 3 women with a star symbol designating] / IN MEMORIAM

    Bottom: ERECTED BY CRAIGHEAD-DUNLAP CHAPTER, / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION, / NOVEMBER 11, 1924.

  • Custodian

    Anson County

  • Dedication Date

    November 11, 1924

  • Decade

    1920s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    34.966790 , -80.076250 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      Medley, Mary L. History Of Anson County North Carolina 1750-1976, (Charlotte, NC: Heritage Printers, 1976) 220-221

      “Want Names of Soldiers,” The Messenger and Intelligencer (Wadesboro, NC), July 28, 1921

      “Will Not Unveil Tablets November 11,” The Messenger and Intelligencer (Wadesboro, NC), September 15, 1921

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Bronze

  • Sponsors

    Craighead-Dunlap Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution

  • Monument Dedication and Unveiling

    Josephus Daniels, former Secretary of the Navy under Woodrow Wilson, was the featured dedication speaker. Gold Star War Mothers, Confederate veterans and other patriotic groups participated in the dedication. Afterwards those in attendance were treated to a picnic and barbecue.

  • Subject Notes

    Efforts to obtain a full and correct list of all men and women from Anson County who served delayed the project. It is not certain that the dedication ceremony took place on November 11, 1924, as indicated on the plaque.

  • Location

    The Anson County Courthouse is located on N. Greene St. between East Martin and East Wade Streets. The bronze plaque is mounted on the exterior wall of the entrance to the courthouse, a few feet to the right of the front doors. A companion listing for African American men and women is mounted on a similar plaque, on the left exterior wall.

  • Landscape

    Multiple memorials are associated with the Anson County Courthouse area. The Confederate Monument sits in front of the entrance to the Courthouse and the Confederate Women Monument is on the left. The Anson County Veterans Memorial is in front and to the right. A pair of flag poles with a bronze plaque dedicated IN MEMORY OF HOYT PATRICK TAYLOR, a former NC Lt. Governor, is to the left of the Veterans Memorial. Also nearby is a Memorial Fountain dedicated to citizens of Anson County who died in World War One and to the heroes of the American Revolution.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.