Haywood County World War II Monument, Canton
The memorial is dedicated to the men and women of Haywood County who served during
World War II. It is in the form of a six-sided stele with a pyramid shaped top on a single base. The
primary inscription is on the south facing side above which appears the shape of North Carolina
partially covered by a circle. Inside the circle HAYWOOD COUNTY N.C. 1808 and the outline of
two mountains covered with dogwood flowers are incised. Also on the south side, the United
States Coat of Arms appears on the pyramid top. Around the base are coats of arms for each
branch of the military including the Merchant Marines.
Moving counter clockwise around the stele are names by date of entry into service. Side two lists those from 1941, 1942 and 1943. All of side three and most of side four list names from 1944. Beginning at the bottom of side four are names from 1945 which continue through the top of side six. Side six list names from 1946 those whose date of service is not known.
Front, south face: THIS MONUMENT IS / DEDICATED TO THE / MEN AND WOMEN OF /
HAYWOOD COUNTY / WHO SERVED DURING / WORLD WAR II / AND TO THOSE WHO / GAVE
THEIR LIVES / IN DEFENSE OF OUR / COUNTRY
Front, near base: DEDICATED BY / HAYWOOD COUNTY / CITIZENS / 2001
Canton Area Historical Museum
35.532470 , -82.839610 View in Geobrowse
The monument is located on Park Street in a grassy area next to the Canton Area Historical Museum, at 36 Park Street, Canton. Nearby is a maker to two Haywood County men awarded the Medal of Honor during World War II.
The memorial stands on the front lawn, with a few bushes surrounding it.