1929 Confederate Reunion Marker, Charlotte
Scoggins Memorial Art Shop of Charlotte, NC, Builder
A rectangular granite marker commemorates the 39th Confederate Reunion.
The inscribed horizontal stone is flanked by slightly higher vertical slabs. Confederate flags are embossed on both of them, on front and back.
includes a time capsule holding the minutes of the 1929 reunion.
Images: Back of the memorial
ERECTED BY CITIZENS OF /
CITY OF CHARLOTTE /
COUNTY OF MECKLENBURG /
COMMEMORATING THE 39TH /
CONFEDERATE REUNION /
JUNE 4- 7, 1929
Back: - GLORIA VICTIS - / "IN COMMEMORATION OF THE 39TH. ANNUAL REUNION OF / THE UNITED CONFEDERATE VETERANS AT CHARLOTTE, / NORTH CAROLINA, JUNE 4-7, 1929./ A STATE AND CITY'S TRIBUTE OF LOVE; IN GRATEFUL / RECOGNITION OF THE SERVICES OF THE CONFEDERATE / SOLDIERS WHOSE HEROISM IN WAR AND FIDELITY IN / PEACE HAVE NEVER BEEN SURPASSED / ACCEPTING THE ARBITRAMENT OF THE WAR, THE PRESERVED / THE ANGLO-SAXON CIVILIZATION OF THE SOUTH AND / BECAME MASTER BUILDERS IN A RE-UNITED COUNTRY / - VERITAS VINCIT -
June 7, 1929
35.218550 , -80.829630 View in Geobrowse
"2 Confederate memorials defaced in Charlotte," Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), July 15, 2015
"Charlotte’s Confederate monument stirred passions, then and now," Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), July 17, 2015 Link
"Confederate veterans reunion", Filmed on June 7, 1929. Sound documentary, Fox Movietone News Story 2-903 Link
"Defaced Charlotte Confederate memorials will be cleaned, returned to sites," Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), July 16, 2015
"Defaced memorial stirred controversy from beginning," Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), July 24, 2015
"Official program United Confederate Veterans, at their 39th reunion, held at Charlotte, N.C., June 5th, 1929." Link
"Unveil Marker for Veterans," Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), June 8, 1929
Michael C. Hardy. Civil War Charlotte: Last Capital of the Confederacy, Charleston: The History Press, 108
The planning committee for the monument consisted of: Richard B. Stitt (chair), Dr. Addison Brenzer, H. Grady Moore, J.A. Daly, and Leardy Adams. Funds were raised by donations.
Dr. Albert Sidney Johnson was the presiding officer. While the Fort Bragg Military band provided music, Dr. E. N. Orr, provided the invocation. The main address was given by Dr. Oren Moore. The monument was unveiled by great grandson of Stonewall Jackson and granddaughter of William Morrison Stitt. Former Mayor Redd, who introduced Moore, proclaimed the monument demonstrated reunion had occurred in America. A copy of the records of the reunion and list of attendees was sealed inside the monument. The oldest living veteran present was tasked with placing the records in the monument. The Rev. John Long Jackson gave the benediction. The ceremony was reportedly filmed by Pathe News. A marine corp bugler, Arthur S. Whitcomb played taps at the end.
The monument was presented publicly on June 7, 1929 – a day before the 68th anniversary of North Carolina’s 1861 secession from the Union.
Mecklenburg native Richard Battle Stitt raised the money to produce the memorial. Stitt’s father, William Morrison Stitt, served in the Confederate Army and had been wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863.
In July 2015, the monument was defaced with cement after the murder of nine black parishioners in a historic black church in Charleston, SC. The overtly racist language on the monument has led to calls to remove it.
The memorial is located on North Kings Drive, on a hill next to Grady Cole Center and American Legion Memorial Stadium. It was on city property until Mecklenburg County’s park and recreation department merged with the city’s in 1991.
It sits right by a tall wire fence under shady trees.