Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Monument to Company K, Third NC Regiment, Burgaw

  • Type

    Marker

  • Subjects

    Civil War, 1861-1865

  • City

    Burgaw

  • County

    Pender

  • Description

    The maker is a rough-hewn irregular shaped block of stone with a finished front face for the inscription. Crossed Confederate battle flags are incised above the inscription to Company K of the 3rd NC Regiment.

  • Inscription

    1861 1865 / COMPANY K, 3RD N.C. / INFANTRY REGIMENT C.S.A. / COMPOSED OF VOLUNTEERS / FROM WHAT IS NOW PENDER / COUNTY. WAS ORGANIZED AT / NORTHEAST ACADEMY NEAR / THIS SPOT. THE COMPANY / LEFT FOR ACTIVE DUTY ON / JUNE 10, 1861 AND RENDENDERED / VALIENT AND SACRIFICIAL / SERVICE WITH THE ARMY OF / NORTHERN VIRGINIA UNTIL / SURRENDER AT APPOMATTOX, / APRIL 9, 1865. OF THE / ORIGINAL 140 MEN 60 GAVE / THEIR LIVES AND 42 WERE / SERIOUSLY WOUNDED.

  • Custodian

    Pender County

  • Dedication Date

    Not earlier than 1892

  • Decade

    1890s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    34.551490 , -77.925640 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      "The association of ladies...," The Wilmington Messenger (Wilmington, NC), June 14, 1889

      Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013) 156

      “Pender Memorial Association,” The Wilmington Morning Star (Wilmington, NC), June 22, 1888

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Stone

  • Sponsors

    Pender County Ladies Memorial Association

  • Subject Notes

    The veterans of Company K, 3rd NC Regiment held annual reunions at the Six Forks community near Burgaw. At the June 1888 reunion the ladies of Pender County in attendance formed a memorial committee for the purpose of erecting a monument to the “memory of the heroes of the Lost Cause.” Newspaper articles mention the committee meeting in 1889 and having plans to meet in 1890. Although no news articles about the reunion were found for 1892 there were no mentions of the committee or monument in any articles through 1896 where the trail ended.

  • Location

    The marker is located on E. Wilmington Street near the intersection with S. Walker Street, which is part of the back courthouse lawn. The Pender County Confederate Soldiers Monument stands in front of the courthouse.

  • Landscape

    The Pender County Courthouse has large lawn area on all sides of the building.

  • Former Locations

    In 1978 the monument was moved from the Six Forks community near Burgaw to its present location.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.