Confederate Soldiers Monument, Hertford
McNeel Marble Company, Marietta, GA, Supplier
The monument has a low two tiered granite base with rusticated edges topped by an obelisk resting on a finished granite plinth. In high relief on the plinths front face is a furled Confederate battle flag and the years 1861 and 1865. Below the flag is the words OUR SOLDIERS. Crossed sabers still in their scabbards adorn the monuments back face.
Front: 1861 / 1865 / OUR SOLDIERS
Side, left: “THEY FOUGHT FOR WHAT THEY / BELIEVED TO BE RIGHT / AND SEALED THEIR / FAITH IN BLOOD.”
Side, right: ERECTED BY / PERQUIMANS CHAPTER / U.D.C. / IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD / 1912.
June 12, 1912
36.189520 , -76.465640 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013) 147,224
Kearney, Jr.,H. Thomas. “Clingman, Thomas Lanier,” NCPedia.org, (accessed June 5, 2015) Link
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Confederate Soldiers Monument, Perquimans County Courthouse," North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed August 12, 2015) Link
“Confederate Monument Unveiled At Hertford,” North Carolina Christian Advocate (Greensboro, NC), June 27, 1912
“Confederate Monument Unveiled at Hertford,” The Advance (Elizabeth City, NC), June 14, 1912
“Confederate Monument, Hertford, NC,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
“Record of Perquimans Soldiers In The War For Secession,” The Advance (Elizabeth City, NC), June 21, 1912
Perquimans Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy
On June 12, 1912, the dedication and unveiling services began at 11:30 with The Italian band of the Adams Carnival striking up an old plantation tune, “The Old Folks At Home.” Charles Whidbee was master of ceremonies and Reverend F.M. Shamburger pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church gave the invocation. The crowd joined in the singing of “The Old North State” before Taps was played as the monument was unveiled by three young girls and two boys.
As taps ended, the Hertford and Elizabeth City Naval Reserve unit fired a salute with their carriage gun and rifle volleys. The band then played “Dixie” followed by a rebel yell and the playing of “America.” Mr. P.W. McMullen introduced Judge Walter Clark the orator for the day. Clark, who spoke at six North Carolina Confederate monument dedications, related the history of Perquimans County troops in the war. He noted that the county was small and contained so many slaves it could not provide many troops to the Southern cause. It was also occupied for three years of the war by Northern troops which made it hard for its citizens to reach Southern lines to offer support. After Clark concluded his speech the ceremony ended with the singing of “The Bonnie Blue Flag” by the audience.
Judge Walter Clark was one of the most sought out orators of his time. He had a long and distinguished legal and political career and was a preeminent North Carolina Civil War historian. He edited the Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina, in the Great War 1861 – 1865 (5 vols., 1901). He also battled on the side of “socialized democracy.” He was a supporter of women’s suffrage; labor’s right to organize and called for the ending of the poll tax and for the end to lynchings. To learn more about Walter Clark read his biographical essay "Clark, Walter McKenzie" by David Clark and Charles W. Eagles.
The statue was sold by the McNeel Marble Company from Marietta, Georgia, which produced many other Confederate statues and sold them all over the South, including Macon County Confederate Monument in Franklin, Pasquotank County Confederate Monument in Elizabeth City, Alamance County Confederate Monument in Graham, and Confederate Monument in Durham.
The monument is located on N. Church Street between E. Grubb and E. Market Streets in Hertford, NC. A Veterans Memorial and a monument to Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Jim “Catfish” Hunter stand nearby.
The memorial sits on the front lawn of the historic Perquimans County courthouse. It stands to the right of the building entrance.