Alexander County Confederate Dead, Taylorsville
The monument was erected in honor of the 321 men from Alexander County who lost their lives in the Civil War. It is a single granite block 7 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and 8 inches thick with two small circles above the front inscription containing pairs of crossed confederate battle flags.
Images: North side view | North side, bronze plaque | View with the Alexander County Confederate Monument and Civil War cannon
South face: REMEMBERING / THE / “ALEXANDER COUNTY BOYS” / 1861-1865 / THESE MEN GAVE THEIR ALL
East side, vertical inscription: HONOR
West side, vertical inscription: VALOR
North face: [List of 321 names]
North side at base, bronze plaque: IN MEMORY OF / OWEN LITTLE / WWII VET WHO WORKED / TO HONOR CIVIL WAR SOLDIERS / OF / ALEXANDER COUNTY
35.922810 , -81.175590 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013) 215
“Board of Commissioners Regular Meeting, April 3, 2001” Alexander County Government, (accessed August 19, 2015) Link
Rex Stevenson – Atwell Wike – Bobby Auton Post 5466 Veterans of Foreign Wars
Per meeting minutes of the County Commissioners, James Friday commander of VFW Post 5466, stated that he had spoken with Rev. Sterling Howard, NAACP, Magistrate Everette Dula, and Helen Anthony, Human Relations Council, to explain the reasoning behind placing this monument on the courthouse grounds. The post wanted to ensure that no offense would be taken despite there being two small medallions on the monument with confederate battle flags. Commissioner Harbinson commented that this was no racial issue and that this was simply to honor those individuals who gave the ultimate sacrifice. He also pointed out that there were monuments to those who had served in all other American wars and this would complete the list.
The monument stands to the left of the Alexander County Courthouse on W. Main Avenue near the intersection with S. Center Street. The courthouse address is 29 W. Main Avenue. The Alexander County Confederate Monument and Civil War cannon are grouped with the Alexander County Confederate Dead monument. The courthouse grounds also hold monuments to World War One/World War Two, Korean/Vietnam, and a Veterans Memorial Bell Tower.
The memorial stands on the courthouse lawn, under shady mature trees.