Revolutionary War Patriots, High Point
A steel plaque with a high serpentine shaped top is attached to a steel pole. The
plaque is painted light brown with gold lettering. Above the inscription is the spinning wheel
insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Images: Far-off view of the Memorial Park
REVOLUTIONARY WAR / PATRIOTS / THIS MARKER COMMEMORATES THE / MEN AND WOMEN WHO PARTICIPATED IN / THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION. / THESE PATRIOTS, BELIEVING IN THE NOBLE / CAUSE OF LIBERTY, GALLANTLY FOUGHT FOR / THEIR HOME AND COUNTRY. / 1775-1783 / PRESENTED BY THE / ALEXANDER MARTIN CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / 2009
City of High Point
March 10, 2009
35.957430 , -80.005610 View in Geobrowse
Alexander Martin Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
Present at the dedication was the Nathanael Greene Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution color guard and the Guilford Courthouse Fife and Drum Corps along with representatives from other area D.A.R. chapters and local politicians including High Point Mayor Rebecca Smothers. During comments, Regent Laine Ruehle (Alexander Martin Chapter) said that “the liberties enjoyed in America today are the legacy of brave, strong patriots. This marker preserves the memory and spirit of those who fought for our American independence. In remembering the past we honor the patriots who aided and advanced the cause of independence.”
The marker stands on a brick plaza, or, Memorial Park, located at the intersection of N. Main Street and E. High Avenue. Other memorials include Veterans Memorial, African American Gold Star plaque, World War Two Honor Roll, WWI Doughboy statue, and POW/MIA plaque. On the corner across E. High Street is a plaque to General Maxwell Reid Thurman. Across Main Street at the restored High Point Train depot is the Plank Road Foreman statue and “High Point” marker.
Bushes and trees adorn the brick plaza where the Revolutionary Patriots marker stands on.