Alamance County War Memorial, Pine Hill Cemetery, Burlington
The memorial is a tall granite shaft that narrows near the top in a series of steps. Resting on the very top is a bowl shaped feature. The shaft stands on a broad triple base. Each side has an engraved American Legion logo with a spread winged eagle perched on top. Although erected during the height of World War Two each side has an engraved figure of United States military personnel wearing World War One uniforms. The front face features a soldier with helmet, wearing a long overcoat and holding a rifle by the barrel in his proper right hand. The left hand is resting on an ammunition belt that also holds a bayonet. The east side figure is that of a navy seaman with both hands holding a rifle with the butt resting on the ground between spread feet. This figure also has what appears to be a bayonet attached to his belt. The rear figure is also one of a soldier with field jacket, helmet, a rifle slung over the proper right shoulder and bayonet attached to the belt. One of the two soldier figures represents the army and one the marines. The west side carving is that of a military nurse with cap and a cape. The nurse’s proper right hand is at her side and the left hand is holding the cape near her neck.
Front: DEDICATED TO MEN / AND WOMEN OF ALAMANCE / COUNTY WHO SERVED / THEIR
COUNTRY IN WAR
East side: TIME WILL NOT DIM / THE GLORY OF THEIR DEEDS
Back: PATRIOTIC SACRAFICES / REMEMBERD FOREVER
West side: WALTER B. ELLIS POST NO. 63 / THE AMERICAN LEGION / 1943
City of Burlington
July 25, 1943
36.085480 , -79.445240 View in Geobrowse
“Legion Memorial Monument Dedication Here Sunday,” The Daily Times-News (Burlington, NC), July 24, 1943, 6
“Little Arlington’ Campaign Fund For Memorial Monument In Pine Hill Cemetery Is Reported Over The Top,” The Daily Times-News (Burlington, NC), May 7, 1943, 10
“Little Arlington’ Provides Honored Burial Grounds For Veterans of War,” The Daily Times-News (Burlington, NC), May 9, 1949
“Maj. Gregg Cherry Declares American Spirit Will Give Power and Courage To Fighting Men On All Fronts Of The War,” The Daily Times-News (Burlington, NC), July 26, 1943, 2
“Pine Hill Cemetery – Veterans Memorial,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed March 19, 2016) Link
Walter B. Ellis Post #63, American Legion
The day’s event began with a parade along Main Street to the cemetery. It was led by the American Legion, followed by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the pre-flight Drum and Bugle Corp of Elon College, the entire body of pre-flight school cadets, Boy and Girl Scouts and the high school band. Ray Nally, commander of the Walter B. Ellis American Legion post presided over the ceremony, including an official receiving the plot of ground and dedicating the monument. An extensive program with music and recognition preceded the unveiling and primary speech by Major Gregg Cherry who was a candidate for governor in 1944. During his speech, Cherry declared that “we have now learned that the policy of isolation offers no more safety than the proverbial ostrich has with his head in the sand.” The ceremony ended with prayer and the singing of the national anthem.
The monument is located in a section of Pine Hill Cemetery called “Little Arlington” which is the
unofficial name of the cemetery’s veterans section. This plot of land was purchased in 1940 by
the American Legion and set aside for burial of service men or veterans and their spouse. When
the monument was erected in 1943 any existing grave markers were replaced by standard
markers about three and one half feet tall.
The monument was carved in Georgia.
Pine Hill Cemetery occupies the 1200 block of South Main Street between E. Kitchin Street and E. Summit Avenue. The cemetery office address is 234 E. Summit Avenue, Burlingon, NC.
Similar grave markers for military and veterans identify the cemetery Veteran’s area around the monument.