Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Robert E. Lee Dixie Highway Marker, Hendersonville

  • Type

    Marker

  • Subjects

    Historic Military Figures

    Geography

    Civil War, 1861-1865

  • Creator

    Mrs. James Madison Gudger, Jr., Asheville, NC, Designer

  • City

    Hendersonville

  • County

    Henderson

  • Description

    The memorial is comprised of a rectangular bronze plaque attached to a large granite bolder. In relief inside an oval that encompasses one third of the plaque is a representation of General Robert E. Lee astride his horse Traveler. The inscription, also in relief, appears below the oval.

    Images: Far-off view | Side view

  • Inscription

    ERECTED AND DEDICATED BY THE / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / AND FRIENDS / IN LOVING MEMORY OF / ROBERT E. LEE / AND TO MARK THE ROUTE OF / THE DIXIE HIGHWAY / “THE SHAFT MEMORIAL AND HIGHWAY STRAIGHT / ATTEST HIS WORTH - HE COMETH TO HIS OWN” / - LITTLEFIELD - / ERECTED 1926

  • Custodian

    Henderson County Heritage Museum

  • Dedication Date

    November 11, 1926. Re-dedication: August 10, 2008

  • Decade

    1920s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    35.314220 , -82.460870 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      Butler, Douglas J. Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 193

      Elliston, John. “For Historians Documenting WNC’s Civil War Monuments, The Past Is Not Always Set In Stone,” Carolina Public Press, June 10, 2011 (accessed May 24, 2016) Link

      Giles, Jennie Jones. “Museum Comes Alive At Heritage Museum,” BlueRidgeNow.com, August 7, 2008, (accessed May 24, 2016) Link

      “Daughters Will Donate Markers For State Roads,” The Robesonian (Lumberton, NC), October 26, 1925

      “Dixie Highway Plaque - Hendersonville, NC,” Waymarking.com, (accessed May 26, 2016) Link

      “To Unveil Lee Marker during Armistice Day,” Asheville Citizen-Times (Asheville, NC), November 10, 1926

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Bronze, granite

  • Sponsors

    United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division

  • Subject Notes

    The Dixie Highway was first planned in 1914 and became part of the National Auto Trail system and initially was intended to connect the Midwest with the South. Rather than a single highway the result was more a small network of interconnected paved roads. It was constructed and expanded from 1915 to 1927. The eastern route of the Dixie Highway mostly became U.S. Highway 25. Starting in the late 1920s, the United Daughters of the Confederacy placed bronze plaques on granite pillars to mark the route of the Dixie Highway and honor General Robert E. Lee. Surviving examples in North Carolina can be found in Marshall and Hot Springs in Madison County, in Asheville in Buncombe County and in Fletcher, Hendersonville and near Tuxedo all in Henderson County.

    The efforts to mark the Dixie Highway in North Carolina were led by Mrs. James Madison Gudger, Jr. of Asheville who also designed the plaque. The North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy raised $800 to have the die cast for the plaque and then loan it to other states for marking their highways. Other states do not appear to have taken advantage of the die aside from an example in Greenville, South Carolina. It is thought that 10 total were made from this die leaving several unaccounted for.

  • Location

    The marker is located on the corner of N. Church Street and 1st Avenue W. behind the historical Henderson County Courthouse. Nine other historical markers are located in front of the courthouse which now serves as the Henderson County Heritage Museum.

  • Landscape

    The memorial stands under shady mature trees, surrounded by bushes and seasonal greenery.

  • Former Locations

    During renovations to the courthouse the marker was moved from in front of the building to Church Street. It was rededicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in a ceremony on August 10, 2008.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.