Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Rebecca of the Well Fountain, Salisbury

  • Type


  • Subjects

    Historic Religious Figures

    Historic Women Figures

    Removed Monuments

  • City


  • County


  • Description

    The current fountain is a replica of the original which was installed in the center of town in 1888 and later removed to make way for streetcars (in 1905) and eventually scrapped for metal during World War II. The figure positioned on top of the fountain represents the biblical Rebecca at the well. At the top of the fountain a woman holds a container over her head; water falling from it flows into a large circular basin. A replica of the original fountain now stands at the entrance of the Gateway Park which opened on October 12, 1997.

    Images: Contemporary view | Close-up view | Sculptural details

  • Dedication Date

    Original installed 1888

  • Decade


  • Geographic Coordinates

    35.666240 , -80.467490 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      "Downtown Salisbury Street Scenes - Main Street," Theo Buerbaum's Salisbury, (accessed January 26, 2012) Link

      Toth, Robert. "The Fountain,", (accessed January 26, 2012) Link "Rebecca at Robertson Eastern-Gateway Park," (accessed January 26, 2011) Link

  • Public Site


  • Sponsors

    Julian and Blanche Robertson paid for the creation of Gateway park in which the replica now stands.

  • Location

    This fountain is located on the corner of Depot and East Innes streets in a small garden in Salisbury, NC.

  • Former Locations

    The original fountain was first located at the intersection of Innes and Main Streets in Salisbury; it had to be moved because it was an inconvenience for cars. During World War II the fountain was sold for scrap metal but a replica was made later and installed in a small park in Salisbury.

  • Post Dedication Use

    The original fountain installed in 1888 was used for water for horses and fire protection.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.