Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Jefferson Davis, Fletcher

  • Type

    Marker

  • Subjects

    Historic Political Figures

    Civil War, 1861-1865

  • City

    Fletcher

  • County

    Henderson

  • Description

    The memorial is one of a series of large granite mountain boulders, all about the same size but of different shapes that comprise the “Open-Air Westminster Abbey of the South.” Each marker contains a bronze plaque with date of birth and death and a statement about the person’s significance to southern culture or in some cases their relationship to Calvary Episcopal Church.

    Images: Rear view | View of memorials at "Westminster Abbey of the South"

  • Inscription

    Front: JEFFERSON DAVIS / PRESIDENT OF / THE CONFEDERATE STATES / OF AMERICA / SOLDIER, PLANTER / AUTHOR, STATESMAN / BORN JUNE3, 1808 / FAIRVIEW, KENTUCKY / DIED DECEMBER 6, 1889 / NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

    “HE WAS A STATESMAN WITH CLEAN / HANDS AND PURE HEART WHO SERVED / HIS PEOPLE FAITHFULLY AND WELL / FROM BUDDING MANHOOD TO HOARY AGE”

    Rear: ERECTED 1931 / BY THE / NORTH CAROLINA / DIVISION / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF / THE CONFEDERACY

  • Custodian

    Calvary Episcopal Church

  • Dedication Date

    September 13, 1931

  • Decade

    1930s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    35.442600 , -82.503600 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      "Westminster Abbey Of South," Spartanburg Herald Journal (Spartanburg, SC) September 24, 1939, Link

      Hicklin, J.B. “Elaborate Abbey To Immortalize South’s Leaders,” Forest City Courier (Forest City, NC), September 24, 1931, (accessed May 27, 2016) Link

      Jenkins, Mark. “Historical Sketch Of Calvary Episcopal Church,” (Calvary Parish, Fletcher, 1959) Link

      “Calvary Church, Fletcher, N.C. Between Asheville and Hendersonville,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link

      “Fletcher Markers,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed May 25, 2016) Link

      “In The Open-Air Westminster,” Confederate Veteran 39 (1931), p. 406-407 Link

      “Jefferson Davis Memorial,” E. M. Ball Photographic Collection (1918-1969), D. H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville 28804 Link

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Bronze, granite

  • Sponsors

    United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division

  • Monument Dedication and Unveiling

    After a religious service in the church two children, Dorothy Long and Mary Stanley Bernard, unveiled the memorial. It was presented by Mrs. Glen Long, President of the North Carolina Division United Daughters of the Confederacy. Governor O. Max Gardner was present along with officers and members of Confederate organizations and the American Legion. The dedication was said to draw members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy from all over the south.

  • Location

    Calvary Episcopal Church is located at 2840 Hendersonville Road, at its intersection with Old Airport Road in Fletcher, NC.
    Eighteen “Open-Air Westminster Abbey of the South” markers stand in two rows in a lawn area facing Old Airport Road to the right of the church. The Robert E. Lee Dixie Highway is located near the street facing Hendersonville Road. One memorial to Bill Nye is in the church cemetery and the second memorial to Bill Nye is on the front lawn of the church. The Calvary Episcopal Church marker stands near the sanctuary.

  • Landscape

    This memorial is one of eighteen “Open-Air Westminster Abbey of the South” markers that stand in two rows in a lawn area to the right of the church.

  • Former Locations

    This memorial and the seventeen others now standing along Old Airport Road were originally located in a landscaped plot along Hendersonville Road (Highway 25) directly in front of the cemetery. It is likely they had to be relocated when the road was widened to four lanes.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.