Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Calvary Episcopal Church Memorial, Fletcher

  • Type

    Marker

  • Subjects

    Religious Institution

    Local History

    Civil War, 1861-1865

  • City

    Fletcher

  • County

    Henderson

  • Description

    The Calvary Episcopal Church memorial consists of two simple plaques attached to an irregular shaped granite shaft. The upper plaque gives the history of the church to include its use as a Confederate barracks in the Civil War and the lower plaque is to a long time member of the church whose family sponsored the memorial.

    Images: Upper plaque | Lower plaque | Calvary Episcopal Church Memorial | View of memorials at "Westminster Abbey of the South"

  • Inscription

    Church Plaque, top: CALVARY EPISCOPAL CHURCH / FLETCHER N.C.

    ONE OF THE OLDEST CHURCHES IN / WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA / ORGANIZED 1857 – BUILT 1859 / CONSECRATED BY THE RT. REV. THOS. ATKINSON / BISHOP OF NORTH CAROLINA / AUGUST 21, 1859

    DURING THE CIVIL WAR THIS CHURCH WAS USED AS / BARRACKS BY CONFEDERATE TROOPS

    ERECTED AUGUST 21, 1927. THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE / CONSECRATION OF THIS CHURCH

    Lower Plaque: THE BOYHOOD CHURCH AND HOME OF / PHILIP LAFAYETTE LANCE / BORN OCTOBER 25, 1852 / DIED NOVEMBER 26, 1926 / “HE LOVED THY ROCKS AND HILLS / THY WOODS AND TEMPLED HILLS. “ / ERECTED IN LOVING MEMORY / AUGUST 21, 1927 / BY HIS DAUGHTER / MARY LANCE VAN EVERY

  • Custodian

    Calvary Episcopal Church

  • Dedication Date

    August 21, 1927

  • Decade

    1920s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    35.443180 , -82.504200 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      "Westminster Abbey Of South," Spartanburg Herald Journal (Spartanburg, SC) September 24, 1939, Link

      Hicklin, J.B. “Elaborate Abbey To Immortalize South’s Leaders,” Forest City Courier (Forest City, NC), September 24, 1931, (accessed May 27, 2016) Link

      Jenkins, Mark. “Historical Sketch Of Calvary Episcopal Church,” (Calvary Parish, Fletcher, 1959) Link

      “Calvary Church, Fletcher, N.C. Between Asheville and Hendersonville,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link

      “Fletcher Markers,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed May 25, 2016) Link

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Bronze, stone

  • Sponsors

    Mary Lance Van Every

  • Location

    Calvary Episcopal Church is located at 2840 Hendersonville Road at its intersection with Old Airport Road in Fletcher. The marker is near the front entrance of the church.
    Eighteen “Open-Air Westminster Abbey of the South” markers stand in two rows in a lawn area facing Old Airport Road to the right of the church. The Robert E. Lee Dixie Highway is located near the street facing Hendersonville Road. One memorial to Bill Nye is in the church cemetery and the second memorial to Bill Nye is on the front lawn of the church.

  • Landscape

    The marker stands right in front of the Calvary Episcopal Church.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.