Documenting the American South

Doc South header logo Home
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
Commemorative Landscapes banner
  • Monument Name

    Captain Reid R. Morrison and Battery F, Mooresville

  • Type

    Marker

  • Subjects

    World War I

  • City

    Mooresville

  • County

    Iredell

  • Description

    The memorial consists of a bronze plaque attached to a flat arch top marker, almost five feet tall. The stone has a smooth face with rusticated edges. The bronze plaque holds the inscription above which appears the crossed cannon insignia of United States artillery units. The plaque is 26 inches wide by 20 inches high.

    Images: Plaque

  • Inscription

    TO THE MEMORY OF / CAPT. REID R. MORRISON / AND / THE OFFICERS AND MEN / OF / BATTERY “F” 113th F.A. / ORGANIZED AUGUST 5 TH , 1917 / DISCHARGED MARCH 28th , 1919 / ENGAGEMENTS: / ST. MIHIEL / MEUSE ARGONNE / DEFENSIVE SECTOR

  • Custodian

    City of Mooresville

  • Dedication Date

    1951

  • Decade

    1950s

  • Geographic Coordinates

    35.582180 , -80.807340 View in Geobrowsemap pin

  • Supporting Sources

      Fletcher, Arthur Lloyd. History of the 113th Field Artillery 30th Division (Raleigh, N.C.: The History Committee of the 113th F.A., 1920), in Documenting the American South, http://docsouth.unc.edu, (accessed August 3, 2016) Link

      Jacobs, Cindy. Legendary Locals Of Mooresville (Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2012), 108-109, (accessed July 28, 2016)

      “Captain Reid R. Morrison, Commanding Batter F,” from "North Carolinians and the Great War: The Impact of WWI on the Tar Heel State" in Documenting the American South, http://docsouth.unc.edu, (accessed July 28, 2016) Link

      “Mooresville Lake Norman North Carolina: Mooresville History,” Facebook.com, (accessed July 28, 2016) Link

      “War Memorial Center,” Town of Mooresville, www.ci.mooresville.nc.us, (accessed December 13, 2015) Link

  • Public Site

    Yes

  • Materials & Techniques

    Bronze, Granite

  • Monument Dedication and Unveiling

    The memorial was dedicated in 1951 at a reunion of members of Battery F, 113th Field Artillery.

  • Subject Notes

    The members of Company F came largely from Iredell, Cabarrus and Mecklenburg Counties. The men departed for training camps from the Mooresville depot with an American flag and a bible provided by First Presbyterian Church but no uniforms. The battery’s commanding officer was Captain Reid R. Morrison.

  • Location

    This memorial and the Mooresville Mill World War II Roll of Honor stand to the right of the entrance to the War Memorial Center, located at 220 North Maple St., Mooresville, NC. To the left of the entrance is the World War II Gold Star Boys plaque.

  • Landscape

    The Memorial Center is surrounded by well-maintained lawn, trees and seasonal greenery.

Know anything else about this monument that isn't mentioned here? If you have additional information on this or any other monument in our collection fill out the form at the Contact Us link in the footer. Thank you.