Union County Fire Fighters Memorial, Monroe
Bell: McShane Bell Foundry, Baltimore, MD., Foundry
The Union County Firefighters Memorial features a brass fire bell cast in 1889 hanging from a black painted steel housing. The housing rest on a square box shaped structure made from individual slabs of finished granite on a double granite base. The lower base has a finished top and rough hewn edge. The upper base is finished on all sides. The structure is approximately four feet in height. Inscriptions appear on all four sides of the box and upper base. In the front, south face is an incised firefighter coat of arms with the words HONOR, TRUST, INTEGRITY, DUTY surrounding depictions of firefighting equipment. The memorial is centered in a plaza area laid with brick pavers in front of the south entrance to the old Union County Courthouse. The dedication plaque lies directly in front of the memorial. It is approximately three feet square with an incised Rotary International wheel symbol.
Images: Close-up view of the bell | Dedication plaque | Rear view | East side view | West side view | Front inscription
Front, south face: FIREFIGHTERS MEMORIAL
Front base: WESLEY CHAPEL UNIONVILLE / STALLINGS MONROE WAXHAW
East side: DEDICATED TO MONROE AND UNION COUNTY / FIREFIGHTERS WHO HAVE DIED IN THE LINE OF DUTY
East side base: ALLENS CROSS ROADS MINERAL SPRINGS / FAIRVIEW LANES CREEK JACKSON
Rear, north face: ORIGINALLY LOCATED ON THESE GROUNDS, THIS / HISTORIC FIRE BELL ONCE STOOD TO SUMMON MONROE / FIREFIGHTERS TO DUTY. IT PRESENTLY STANDS TO / HONOR FIREFIGHTERS WHO HAVE DIED IN SERVICE TO / THEIR COMMUNITIES AND AS A TRIBUTE TO FIREFIGHTERS / WHO CONTINUE THEIR SELFLESS SERVICE TODAY.
MAY GOD BLESS AND PROTECT ALL FIREFIGHTERS.
Rear base: HEMBY BRIDGE PROVIDENCE / BAKERS WINGATE SANDY RIDGE
West side: DEDICATED TO MONROE AND UNION COUNTY / FIREFIGHTERS WHO HAVE DIED IN THE LINE OF DUTY / [Left column] TOMMY P. GRIFFIN / JAN. 26, 1967 / SANDY RIDGE / TOM W. HAGE / AUG. 11, 2007 / WESLEY CHAPEL / [Right column] KENNETH A. STRAIN / MAY 2, 1999 / HEMBY BRIDGE
West base: GRIFFITH ROAD STACK ROAD / NEW SALEM BEAVER LANE
Dedication plaque: THIS MEMORIAL MADE POSSIBLE BY THE / GENEROUS SUPPORT FROM ROTARY, / THE CITY OF MONROE AND UNION COUNTY / DEDICATED - SEPT. 11, 2008
Bell Inscription: MCSHANE BELL FOUNDRY. / BALTIMORE, MD. / 1889.
September 11, 2008
34.983030 , -80.549500 View in Geobrowse
“Fire Fighters Memorial – Monroe, NC,” Rolfloend.Smugmug.com, (accessed August 27, 2016) Link
Granite, brick, brass bell, steel
Rotary, City of Monroe and Union County
The memorial is located on the south side of the Old County Courthouse, at 400 North Main Street, Monroe, NC 28112. It faces N. Hayne Street. Memorials in front of the historic courthouse include a Confederate Soldiers Monument, a marker for Confederate Pensioners of Color, Courthouse Cross and War Dead Plaques, Korean War and World War One memorials. Revolutionary War memorial is on the west side lawn and Vietnam Memorial on the east side lawn.
The memorial bell stands in the center of a brick walkway leading up to the south entrance of the courthouse. The courthouse building is surrounded by mature shady trees, seasonal and evergreen plants, and a well-maintained lawn.
The courthouse lawn serves as a ceremonial center for community activities, such as parades. The United Daughters of the Confederacy used to hold Memorial Day celebrations at the site until some residents protested the ceremonies.