Gaston County Veterans Howitzer, Gastonia
The Krupp Mountain Gun is a small howitzer made by the Fried. Krupp Company in Essen, Germany. This weapon was of a type most likely manufactured in the late 1890’s. This particular weapon shows signs of multiple coats of gray paint from previous restorations and the wooden wheels are showing signs of deterioration. Two markers, one granite and one metal, attest to previous restorations of the howitzer.
Images: Granite marker | Krupp nameplate | Far-off view | Rear view
Granite marker: RESTORED AS A TRIBUTE / TO ALL WHO SERVE TO / PROTECT US. / [Left side] MARKER COMPLIMENT OF / WILEY BROTHERS / MARBLE AND GRANITE / [Right side] CHRISTOPHER LEONARD / EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT 1993
Metal marker: HENRY SCHMIDLEN / TROOP 11 / EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT / 2005
Howitzer manufacturer plate: FRIED. KRUPP / ESSEN A/R. NO20.
35.263660 , -81.185710 View in Geobrowse
Lovett, Ralph. “7,5cm. Gebirg Kanone L/13,” Lovett Artillery Collection, http://www.lovettartillery.com, (accessed November 15, 2016) Link
“War Trophies in Demand,” The Western North Carolina Times (Hendersonville, NC), June 20, 1919
Mountain guns were artillery pieces designed for use in mountain warfare and areas where usual wheeled transport was not possible. They were generally capable of being broken down into smaller loads for transport by pack animals or humans.
Acquiring captured military equipment for local communities has long been a popular form of commemoration. After World War One it required a member of the U.S. House of Representatives to sponsor a bill and introduce to the full House. A news report from shortly after World War One’s end stated that 6,000 request had already been submitted. The article noted that the House document room was congested with these “Cannon Bills.”
The howitzer is located at the corner of West Main Street and South York Street, near a side entrance to the main Gastonia Post Office downtown. The post office address is 301 W. Main Street, Gastonia, NC.
The Krupp mountain gun stands on the lawn, surrounded by bushes.