Lincoln Hospital/Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing, Durham
The memorial consists of a pole mounted decorative steel plaque describing the history of Lincoln Hospital and a large metal oil lamp on a squat granite block with sloped side dedicated to the Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing. Four sets of stone tiles have been laid into ground around the lamp memorial. Each set depicts a building associated with the history of the hospital or nursing school: Lincoln Hospital 1901-1925, Lincoln Hospital 1925-1976, Angier B. Duke Nurses Home 1925-1975 and the Stokes Graduate Nurses Residence. The plaque and lamp stand near each other in a somewhat hourglass shaped landscape area formed by white gravel and interspersed with larger gray stones. Memorial pavers have been placed in the immediate area around each of the markers.
Images: View of the memorial complex | Lincoln Hospital Plaque | Lamp | Angier B. Duke Nurses Home plaque | Lincoln Hospital 1901-1925 plaque | Lincoln Hospital 1925-1976 plaque | Stokes Graduate Nurses Residence plaque | East plaque | West plaque | Committee plaque
Lamp inscription, both sides: LINCOLN HOSPITAL / 1903-1971 / SCHOOL OF NURSING
Monument plaque, west side: LINCOLN HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF / NURSING ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, INC. / OFFICERS: 2003-2005 / GLORIA TAYLOR KING ’67, / PRESIDENT / CAROLYN E. HENDERSON ’71, / VICE-PRESIDENT / ESTA DENNIS SEGARS ’68, / RECORDING SECRETARY PAULINE LANGSTON EDWARDS ’66, / CORRESPONDING SECRETARY / LOTTIE FLEMING HALL ’69, / TREASURER / PATRICA MARTIN BLUE ’65, / ASSISTANT TREASURER
Monument plaque, east side: THE PROJECT WAS MADE POSSIBLE / THROUGH MATCHING FUNDS FROM DURHAM CITY GOVERNMENT / DURHAM COUNTY GOVERNMENT / AND / THE TIRELESS EFFORTS OF / LINCOLN HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF / NURSING ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, INC. / GLORIA T. KING ’67, CHAIRPERSON / MONUMENT AND BRICK MARKER PROJECT / UNVEILED AUGUST 13, 2005
Stone with project committee: MONUMENT AND BRICK / MARKER PROJECT / COMMITTEE / RUBY B. BORDON ’59 / PATRICIA M. BLUE ’65 / PAULINE L. EDWARDS ’66 / GLORIA J. FULTON ’56 / LOTTIE F. HALL ’69 / CAROLYN E. HENDERSON ’71 / GLORIA T. KING ’68, CHAIR / ESTA D. SEGARS ‘68
Steel plaque on pole: HISTORIC PRESERVATION / SOCIETY OF DURHAM / LINCOLN HOSPITAL / 1901 – 1976 / FOUNDED ON PROCTER ST. BY DR. AARON / MOORE, JOHN MERRICK & DR. STANFORD L. / WARREN, WITH A GIFT FROM WASHINGTON / DUKE. THE COMMUNITY MATCHED GIFTS / FROM J.B. & B.N. DUKE TO BUILD A NEW / FACILITY ON THIS SITE IN 1924, DESIGNED BY / MILBURN & HEISTER. IT STOOD AS A SYMBOL / OF PRIDE AND SERVICE TO THE NEGRO / COMMUNITY. THE SCHOOL OF NURSING / (1903-1971) GRADUATED OVER 600 NURSES. / LINCOLN AND WATTS HOSPITALS MERGED TO / FORM DURHAM REGIONAL HOSPITAL. / HISTORIC HOSPITAL NO. 1 / ERECTED FOR HOSPITAL CENTENNIAL, AUGUST 18, 2001
Lincoln Community Health Center
Monument: August 13, 2005. Plaque: August 18, 2001
35.980800 , -78.899220 View in Geobrowse
Shestak, Elizabeth. “The Lasting Legacy Of Lincoln Hospital,” The Duke Endowment, http://dukeendowment.org, (accessed November 27, 2016) Link
Wadelington, Flora Hatley. "Segregation in the 1920s," NCPedia.org, (accessed December 9, 2016) Link
Watts, Charles D., M.D. and Scott, Frank W. “Lincoln Hospital of Durham, North Carolina: A Short History,” Journal of The National Medical Association 57.2 (1965), 177-183
“Lincoln Hospital - Fayetteville Street,” Open Durham, http://www.opendurham.org, (accessed November 22, 2016) Link
Granite, bronze, steel, brick
Nursing School Lamp Memorial: Lincoln Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association, Inc. Hospital plaque: Historic Preservation Society of Durham
Lincoln Hospital was the fourth hospital in North Carolina for blacks and the first without a religious affiliation. Many of the doctors came from Shaw University which was the first four-year medical school for blacks in the United States. Lincoln Hospital merged with Watts Hospital in 1976 and moved into what is now Durham Regional Hospital.
The oil lamp is an international symbol of nursing. It symbolizes a lit lamp used by of Florence Nightingale while caring for injured soldiers during the Crimean war.
The memorial is located on the 1300 block of Fayetteville Street in Durham, NC. The memorial area is in front of the Lincoln Community Health Center at 1301 Fayetteville Street.
The memorial stands on a wide grassy area with scattered trees. The lot is outlined with a boxwood hedge. The lot backs up to the parking lot for the Lincoln Community Health Center.