Johnston County Veterans Memorial, Smithfield
The Johnston County Veterans Memorial has three tall tablestone sections of equal width, joined together with the two outer sections angled towards the front giving it a concave appearance. It stands on similarly shaped single base. The front center section has two plaques while the outer sections have three each. Seven plaques name a war and the conflicts duration. A small dedication plaque is attached to the rear center section. A bronze eagle with spread wings sits atop the memorial. The memorial was dedicated in 1983 with room for additional plaques. Three have been added since the time of dedication. The memorial is surrounded by a brick paver patio with strips of granite for edging.
Images: View of memorials in front of the Johnston County Courthouse
Center panel lower plaque: THIS MEMORIAL / IS DEDICATED / TO / THE VETERANS / LIVING AND DECEASED / OF THE ABOVE WARS
Center panel upper plaque: WORLD WAR II / 1941-1946
Left panel top: KOREAN WAR / 1950-1955
Left panel center: LEBANON/GRENADA / 1982-1984
Left bottom: KUWAIT/IRAQ / 1990 –
Right top: VIETNAM WAR / 1961-1975
Right bottom: AFGHANISTAN / 2001 –
Rear: THIS MONUMENT ERECTED BY / THE JOHNSTON COUNTY COMMISSIONERS / AT THE REQUEST OF / THE JOHNSTON COUNTY COUNCIL / OF VETERANS ORGANIZATIONS / -1983-
35.511520 , -78.346930 View in Geobrowse
No related materials.
Granite with bronze eagle and plaques
Johnston County Commissioners
The memorial is located on the Market Street side of the Johnston County courthouse, 207 E. Johnston Street, Smithfield, NC. It stands to the left of the entrance. The courthouse grounds also hold a World War One Doughboy statue, a plaque commemorating General Lee's surrender at Appomattox, a memorial listing Johnston County war dead since World War Two, a memorial flagpole to World War Two and Korean War dead, and World War One Memorial Drinking Fountain.
The war memorial stands on the courthouse building front lawn, surrounded by trees, bushes, seasonal greenery. It is surrounded by a brick paver patio with strips of granite for edging.