The Waldensian Colony, Valdese
The Waldensian Colony marker is a tall narrow block of granite reminiscent of a Gothic tower or a truncated church steeple. The memorial narrows near the top in a series of narrow steps of varying height and width. In a recessed circle near the top is an eagle carved in relief. The memorial stands on a triple base with the upper and lower base wider and longer than the thicker middle base.
Plinth inscription: TO / THE WALDENSIAN COLONY / FROM THE COTTIAN ALPS, / WHO SETTLED HERE FIRST / IN 1893 / NUMBERING IN ALL 427, / IN RECOGNITION OF THEIR / CHRISTIAN IDEALS, / INTEGRITY, INDUSTRY AND / GOOD CITIZENSHIP, / THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED, / BY THE TOWN OF VALDESE, AND BURKE COUNTY / COMMEMORATING THE / FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY / OF THEIR ARRIVAL
Upper Base: 1893 WALDENSES 1943
City of Valdese
35.743260 , -81.562570 View in Geobrowse
Poet, Sylvan S. A Waldensian Colony In The United States, Valdese, N.C. (Valdese, NC: 1940) Link
Steelman, Lala Carr. 2006. “Waldensians,” NCPedia.org, (accessed June 22, 2017) Link
“The Waldensian Colony,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed June 13, 2017) Link
“Waldenses,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed June 22, 2017) Link
The Town of Valdese and Burke County
The Waldensians were a religious body from northern Italy whose history dates to the middle ages. Persecuted for 400 years members of the body migrated to other parts of the world but the largest single group moved to Burke County founding the town of Valdese in 1893. The body that founded Valdese united with the Presbyterian Church in 1895.
The marker stands near the sidewalk in front of the Waldensian Presbyterian Church at 109 Main St E (State Highway 70) in Valdese, NC.
The maker stands in front of the open lawn of the church with a brick paved walk. It is surrounded by shrubbery and seasonal plantings. Across the street are stores and business buildings.