A copy sent in to Mr Drinkwater to be sent to New Bern by ——
This day by yours of the 26th instant had the joyful news of your great victory over our Enemy Indians, which, as it will I hope be a great means to bring safety and peace to this country, so it will redound much to your honor to have been the chief instrument of so great and good a work. But as the best of metals is mixed with some alloy, so the joy-fullest news many times with qualifying circumstances; as my not hearing from Captn Maule nor none of his company makes me doubt that he and most of his company are killed or wounded.
Your offer of Continuance of your service for the good of this poor Country is noble and generous, and I heartily wish we could have the
I have given a rough and unpolished account of the state of our Country, and of their ability in carrying on the war, to the best of my knowledge with my own opinion that this blow is vigorously to be followed. Now I leave it to your prudent consideration, what number of Indians you think will be convenient to send for, and how you think our provision will hold out. Also, if we have any white men from Verginia, I doubt we must expect little more supply of ammunition for the money raised there will be for paying of their forces, so ammunition must be had from South Carolina. I have much more to write, but the hastening away the post hinders me, and makes me write so confusedly, which hope you will excuse.
I have ordered the Council to met here the 15th of April, where and which time I would humbly entreat the honor of your company to concert together the proper measures for the peace and safety of this Country. I have likewise taken care to provide a messenger to carry your letter to the Governor of Verginia, and I doubt not you will have an answer in by that time.
Also some Matamaskite Indians disturbing the people at Matchepungo, and as informed, there being some Cores about Mackayes, now if you think part of your Indians may be spared from Neuse, I believe they may be of service there; which I leave to your consideration. Only if you send any to Pamptico, you must order the sloop with the corn to carry so much of it round to Pemptico as you shall see convenient for their subsistance. And I believe if Tom Blount should come in, and submit to such articles as we shall propose, if it be in two or three weeks, we shall have time to send to Governor Craven to stop the Indians coming in that may be sent. All which may be considered at your coming. I shall add no more but that I sincerely am—
Sir Pray if Capt Maule be alive, give my humble respects to him and all your officers.